[Solved] Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby mileena » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:14 pm

I have Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4. The problem just started today. Writer is underling every word in red squiggly lines, even words that are spelled correctly. This didn't happen yesterday; and I didn't change any settings.

Can anyone help?

I did google and found a solution from this forum:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89059

However, it involved complex and potentially dangerous renaming of your App Data folders. I am scared to try this. When I did something like this on Firefox, I believe, I always got a message that this may void my warranty. Is there any easier way, like uninstalling then reinstalling AOO?

In the meantime, I have disabled auto spell checking as you type, to get rid of those red lines.

On a more general level, can I respectfully ask why does AOO have glitches like these, where other office suites don't? Is it because it is free? For example, I get corrupted files that AOO can't open correctly every week since I store these files on a portable hard drive, rather than my C drive. I have to go to my AOO backup folder and change these from .bak to .odt or .ods to make new ones.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home 64-Bit on my desktop
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit on my laptop
mileena
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Re: OpenOffice Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby RoryOF » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:23 pm

The problems are related to your computer and your usage of it. The red underlines are because OO has lost the language for the files; this is because you close your OpenOffice and computer too hastily, without allowing time for the internal buffering in the hard disk to flush to disk. If you look at a red underlined file, in the middle if the Status bar (bottom bar of OO window) you should see the language OO thinks was used in the file.

You work direct to a USB device? Do you observe the operating system's USB removal protocol? Failure to do this can cause file corruption as you report.

Do the appdata fix, renaming the existing user folder to user.old, so that you can bring forward any existing customisation, although much of this may have been lost in the corruption of the user profile, as indicated by the red underlining.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 31414
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: OpenOffice Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby mileena » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:32 pm

RoryOF wrote:The problems are related to your computer and your usage of it. The red underlines are because OO has lost the language for the files; this is because you close your OpenOffice and computer too hastily, without allowing time for the internal buffering in the hard disk to flush to disk. If you look at a red underlined file, in the middle if the Status bar (bottom bar of OO window) you should see the language OO thinks was used in the file.

You work direct to a USB device? Do you observe the operating system's USB removal protocol? Failure to do this can cause file corruption as you report.

Do the appdata fix, renaming the existing user folder to user.old, so that you can bring forward any existing customisation, although much of this may have been lost in the corruption of the user profile, as indicated by the red underlining.


Thanks for your reply RoryOF.

I actually do not close AOO quickly. After I close AOO, I wait a few minutes before shutting down to allow time for buffering. Unless you mean not to close all my open AOO docs at once by clicking the "X" in the upper right-hand corner? Or not to open too many AOO docs at once?

I also rarely disconnect my USB hard drives. If I do, I shut the computer down first, and also turn off power tot the USB hub. Then I carefully remove the hard drives and pack them in their original packaging and bubble wrap for transport.

Thanks for telling me about the stats bar. They all say "English (USA)", which is correct. So I don't think the red underlining was my fault.

Also, that link above that I posted with the solution does not have a period between "User" and "OLD". It states:

"Go to %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 > rename the user folder to userOLD."

Should I use a period?
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home 64-Bit on my desktop
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit on my laptop
mileena
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Re: OpenOffice Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby robleyd » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Should I use a period?

It doesn't matter. You could name it foobarwibble and get the same outcome.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
User avatar
robleyd
Moderator
 
Posts: 3458
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 am
Location: Murbko, Australia

Re: OpenOffice Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby mileena » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:47 pm

robleyd wrote:
Should I use a period?

It doesn't matter. You could name it foobarwibble and get the same outcome.


Thanks robleyd!
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home 64-Bit on my desktop
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit on my laptop
mileena
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Re: OpenOffice Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby hawaiiantaina » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 am

I figured it out.....why it is underlining everything in red.....Here is what you do... go to Tools, Options, Language Settings, Writing Aids, Options, UNCHECK the box-Check Spelling As You Type...that took care of it!! No more underline in (RED)
open office 4.1.6, windows 8
hawaiiantaina
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:05 am

Re: [Solved] Writer is underlining everything in red lines

Postby Bill » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27 am

hawaiiantaina wrote:I figured it out.....why it is underlining everything in red.....Here is what you do... go to Tools, Options, Language Settings, Writing Aids, Options, UNCHECK the box-Check Spelling As You Type...that took care of it!! No more underline in (RED)

What you did was turn off SpellCheck. It's only a solution if you don't Writer to check your spelling. If you do want Writer to check your spelling, reset the user profile by renaming the specified "user" folder instead of unchecking "Check Spelling As You Type". There is no solution to this well-known problem that does not involve fixing the user profile.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer
 
Posts: 7861
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am


Return to Writer

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests