[Solved] Bloated file

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Bloated file

Postby FJCC » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:09 pm

I was asked to look at a file that a family member has that occupies 27MB. It is about 100 pages of text with no images or other content that could possibly explain the size. When I changed the file extension to .zip I found 463 copies of the file stored in a folder called Versions. The files are named Verson1, Version2, ... Version463 and their time stamp is from today a few hours in the future. Has anyone seen such a thing before? I have no idea how one could get a file in that state. The file is personally valuable and I would like to be able to tell the user what to avoid to prevent doing this again even with the good back up routine in place. It is just so weird!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: Bloated file

Postby RoryOF » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:17 pm

Help file says
Version Management
The File menu contains a Versions command that enables you to save multiple versions of a document in the same file.
You can choose to view individual versions of a document, or you can display the differences between versions with color markings.
In the dialog to open a document, you can select from a combo box which version of this document you want to open.
Related Topics
Comparing Versions of a Document

Perhaps worth turning off "Always save a version on closing" on the /File /Version window.

Edit: Thinks: this might be even worse than "Track Changes" :-( 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby FJCC » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Doh! Well, I feel silly. Thanks for pointing that out, Rory. I wonder how many thousands of times I have opened that menu and not seen the Versions option. I was looking in the Edit menu for something related to Changes. Then dinner was ready and I posted a question before going off to eat. I wish all my problems would be resolved while I eat good food and drink quality wine!
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby RoryOF » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:05 pm

St Paul wrote "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." 1 Tim 5:23

I only had a very vague memory of it; we see on the menus only what we regularly use and it doesn't become available until a file has been saved. I ask, does anyone use it?

Edit: Does the timed/dated backup extension not do away with the need for the Version option? 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer