[Solved] Clickable table of contents

Discuss the word processor
deltareum

[Solved] Clickable table of contents

Post by deltareum »

How do I create a table of contents in which clicking on an item gets you there? Not clear from the help. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows
FJCC

Re: Clickable table of contents

Post by FJCC »

I assume you have the document set up with headings to use as the entries for the table of contents and you have gone to the menu Insert -> Indexes and Tables -> Indexes and Tables. On the Entries tab of that dialog the top region is titled Structure and Formatting and just below that is the word Structure. To the right of that there are boxes labeled as E#, E, T, #. Those represent the Chapter Number, Entry, Tab and Page Number. The exact symbols may vary in your case. Click in the space to the left the leftmost box to place the cursor there and then click the Hyperlink button. A new box labeled LS will appear. Then click on the space to the right of the E and again click the Hyperlink button. A new box labeled LE will appear. Those new boxes represent the Link Start and Link End. If you want the hyperlinks to appear in all levels of the table of contents, click the All button. Click OK and you will have a linked table of contents.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
deltareum

Re: Clickable table of contents

Post by deltareum »

Thank you! It worked beautifully!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows
Nicopeeko

Re: [Solved] Clickable table of contents

Post by Nicopeeko »

Hi there. I followed the instructions laid out here but I still haven't achieved clickable chapters in my table of contents. Is there something I might be neglecting? I also have my headings set up for use as the entries in the table of contents. I appreciate any help!
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Please make a short document demonstrating how you have set up the table of contents and upload it here. To upload a file, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I followed the instructions laid out here but I still haven't achieved clickable chapters in my table of contents. Is there something I might be neglecting? I also have my headings set up for use as the entries in the table of contents. I appreciate any help!
What a file type are you using? Always use the native, international standard ODF file formats. You will lost some formatting and other properties of the document when you use other file types. There is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different file types.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Nicopeeko wrote:Is there something I might be neglecting?
Maybe, but if you don't upload a sample file, we would have no way of knowing what you might have neglected or what other things you might have done that could be causing the problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04