[Solved] When Calc and doc files are activated, copy created

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] When Calc and doc files are activated, copy created

Postby mipak » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Hello,

Using W10P, I run PaleMoon and OpenOffice and have a problem when trying to leave OO.

Irrespective of whether I use a calc or doc files, when the time comes to shut them down, I go through the process of saving the files then the programme and that's it till the next time.

The actual files, obviously (or generally) ending in .xls or .doc close down but there is another third file which looks very like .~lock.minibus stats_04_oct-dec---2019.xls# .

Often, I only notice these files still in their respective folders some time later but they should have been automatically removed during the save and close procedure earlier. Prior to re-installing, all OO files didn't respond to anything. So far, I've been unable to remove them manually despite completely re-installing OO a couple of times and each time when I double-click the file name, it throws a new file called Text Import. When I get that off-screen, another one (.xls) appears showing a single of row of file names across the first line but over a number of columns. There's no title of a name at the top left of the window either. Don't know what they are or what they do.

Also prior to re-installing, all OO files didn't respond to anything. Afterwards, all responds apart from the 'third file' problem.

I'd love to know how to avoid this problem in the future and I can't seem to find a way to delete it either. Is there a magic way please?

Michael.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OOo 4.1.7 running on W10P
mipak

Re: When Calc and doc files are activated, a copy is created

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:16 pm

See if that helps: [Solved] ~Lock.[filename].odt# is saved on desktop.
Once the file is closed, it should disappear.

I guess you don't use OOo 3.0 as said in your signature.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).

Off line until 30-AUG-2020
Hagar Delest

Postby RoryOF » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 pm

The lock files contain only housekeeping information about the file opened and who has done so. They contain no information about the data in the actual file with which they are related.

Your problem may perhaps be a Windows Defender problem: See

[Tutorial]Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10

for a discussion of Windows Defender - Controlled Folder Access and how to enable AOO and/or LO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby mipak » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:42 pm

thank you for your replies ...
as at now, i have 10 .~lock files ... 5 ending in .xls#.lnk & 5 ending in .xls.# ...
must agree, when the active programme 'sent to bed' in the correct way, they should automatically be deleted.
unfortunately, i live in a somewhat remote place off the northwest coast of scotland where we have we frequently lose power and i guess this would be the main cause of the computer leaving all the .~lock files when we have a power loss.

to Hagar Delest ...
must admit, i try and keep clear of adding anything to the desktop mainly to avoid the clutter if these lock files but if i'm able to store them elsewhere without any hiccups, then i'll do that instead.
as regards the signature, i've updated that ... thanks ...

to RoryOF ...
thanks for the link to w/defender ... took me a wee while to get through it but i've now added soffice.bin to defender as an allowed app. not sure what i'm going to see now ... does the soffice.bin addition help in making sure the lock 3rd file deletes itself automatically?

Re: When Calc and doc files are activated, a copy is created too
mipak

Postby RoryOF » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:50 pm

With OpenOffice closed, any such lock files may safely be deleted. Note that the lock files are merely a few hundred bytes in size, whereas their associated file should be larger; don't delete the wrong files!

lock files may be left after any improper termination of OpenOffice, usually after a crash.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] When Calc and doc files are activated, a copy i

Postby mipak » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:56 am

Many thanks for your help ...
Michael.
mipak

Return to Writer