No DOCX save option

Discuss the word processor
SmokyBadger

No DOCX save option

Post by SmokyBadger »

I have updated and even a new installation of 4.1.7 and it does not have the docx save option. When I open a docx file it's formatting changes.
How can I fix this?

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win 10
RoryOF

Re: No DOCX save option

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice never had a .docx save option.

You could try LibreOffice, but if you must work in .docx, consider acquiring MS Office.

Formatting changes between different formats, particularly as .docx filters have to be reverse engineered.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
SmokyBadger

Post by SmokyBadger »

I had read several sites that talked about saving and opening docx in OO but as I looked back at them they have tricky wording that makes you think it works.
The issue is that most business and people I deal with use docx and OO and Libre have issues with the docx file system.
Yup, I'm going to go back to Ms Office and I hate that idea.

Thank you
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Win 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The issue is that most business and people I deal with use docx and OO and Libre have issues with the docx file system.
The docx is not a file system. That is a file (document) format.

The OOXML Standard contains the description of the .docx fileformat. Based on the Standard,
iIt seems, there is not need reverse engineering method to create, or read the fileformat in a free, open source office suite.
But it is - unfortunatelly - is not true.

The MS has created TWO versions of the OOXML Standard: The Strict version and the Transitional version.

And the default version in a MS Office is the Transitional. The Strict is available in the MS Office, but the MS Office Users do not know how they can set it.

And the Transitional version is often changed by the MS. Impossible thing to follow the changes without an up-to-date description.

Please read it carefully:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... fficeitpro

As I know it, the LO uses the Strict version of the OOXML.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

All versions of MS Word later than 2007 claim to be able to read and write .odt files so send .odt files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Reading ODT files, Word 2010 issues a couple of warnings and opens them with broken formatting. The situation may be better with later versions, but I have no possibility to test (and don’t care much, honestly).
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

esperantisto wrote:Reading ODT files, Word 2010 issues a couple of warnings and opens them with broken formatting.
That is a Word problem not an AOO problem. Contact Microsoft and complain. Word 2010 is ten years old and obsolete.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

John_Ha wrote: That is a Word problem not an AOO problem.
In this particular case, the problem is yours because you are the one who gives a totally bad piece of advice:
John_Ha wrote:… send .odt files.
If you do not know the matter, just keep silence.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Reading ODT files, Word 2010 issues a couple of warnings and opens them with broken formatting. The situation may be better with later versions, but I have no possibility to test (and don’t care much, honestly).
Note:
There is not (never was and never will be 100% compatibility between the different file formats. Even the different versions of the MS Office files are not fully compatible.

John_Ha wrote:
… send .odt files.
The suggestion: "Use the International Standard ODF fileformats." is the best suggestion what I can imagine.
What it means?
Trivial case: everybody can install a free PDF viewer to open the PDF files.
And everybody can download and install one of the FREE, OPENSOURCE office suites to read and/or edit the ODF fileformats, what grant for you a long time compatibility.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

esperantisto wrote:
In this particular case, the problem is yours because you are the one who gives a totally bad piece of advice:
Try reading [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files which I wrote :crazy:

If you do read it you should understand what Zizi and I are are saying.
Attachments
Different capabilities of Writer and its .odt files, compared with MS Word and its .doc, .docx (and .rtf) files, and LO .docx files.<br />Note that MS Word, while capable of supporting some of the function stored in a .odt file, chooses not to implement that function.<br />MS Word 95 and MS Word 6.0 files cannot store Draw objects.<br />Note that .docx files do not necessarily comply with the OOXML Standard - items like Textboxes are not part of the standard (see text).<br />LO .docx files do not store MS Word Draw components.<br /><br />.rtf files save two copies of any image, and one of those copies is uncompressed. .rtf files with images can therefore be many times - 50x - larger than the equivalent .odt files!<br /><br />If necessary click the image to see a larger one.
Different capabilities of Writer and its .odt files, compared with MS Word and its .doc, .docx (and .rtf) files, and LO .docx files.
Note that MS Word, while capable of supporting some of the function stored in a .odt file, chooses not to implement that function.
MS Word 95 and MS Word 6.0 files cannot store Draw objects.
Note that .docx files do not necessarily comply with the OOXML Standard - items like Textboxes are not part of the standard (see text).
LO .docx files do not store MS Word Draw components.

.rtf files save two copies of any image, and one of those copies is uncompressed. .rtf files with images can therefore be many times - 50x - larger than the equivalent .odt files!

If necessary click the image to see a larger one.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

esperantisto wrote:
All versions of MS Word since 2007 can read .odt files; that they may not do so correctly is due to MS's departure from the strict OpenDocument standard, and complaints about that should be addressed to MS.

Unfortunately many Windows Users expect to double click a file and have it open; they do not understand opening a file using /File /Open. This lack of computer skills is becoming increasingly obvious on this and many other computer forums.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS