[SOLVED] Opening a MS Word doc (Open in Browser)

Discuss the word processor
rar1955

[SOLVED] Opening a MS Word doc (Open in Browser)

Post by rar1955 »

When trying to open a word doc file from my webmail (Open in Browser) within Firefox Browser I get 3 error messages. The name of the file is (Power Save 2019.doc). This is a new computer, it works on my old one.

1. C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\power does not exist.
2. C:\Windows\system32\Save does not exist.
3. C:\Windows\system32\2019-10.doc does not exist.

Thanks
Rick
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Opening a word doc(Open in Browser)

Post by Zizi64 »

Save the document into a known directory (download it) before you try to open it.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

rar1955 wrote:... it works on my old one.
It? Did "it" work with arbitary files or with this specific file?
May your new computer's Win-OS (surely 64-bit; Win 10?) be installed without proper support (every detail of) support for 32-bit software?
The first error message you get seems to signal that "file names" containing spaces are not properly interpreted.
The second and third message are related to the same isue and probably indicate that parts of 32-bit supportt are missing.Are you sure that the filename "Power Save 2019.doc" actually is subdivided by ordinary spaces (URL encoding %20)?
Do you know the e-mail client the sender used? Did he send from a browser-based mailer? ...

(Never use blown-up filenames yourself. No spaces! No special characters! Only letters, decimal digits and underscores!)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Opening a MS Word doc (Open in Browser)

Post by John_Ha »

When you open a file attached to an email it places the file in the \Temp folder and the file is deleted when the email client closes. That is message 1.

Detach it first.

Lupp

May I disagree. Windows (and other OS) allows spaces in file and directory names though be careful not to use a spaces as the first or last character as it is very confusing!
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

John_Ha wrote:Lupp
May I disagree. Windows (and other OS) allows spaces in file and directory names ..
Yes. I know, and it came from Unix if I remember correctly. It's bad anyway. AND sometimes it is still causing real problems probably.
We often ask questioners to report the error messages precisely. This questioner did.

I read the posted error messages and found the file name split by the space positions therein.
How do you explain this?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Lupp

I see what you mean about the name being split at the spaces.

If this is what is happening ...

... then it is not "a fault because spaces are being used in the file name". It is a fault because "the program is not reading the valid file name correctly".

The solution is to fix the program which is not reading the valid file name correctly. The solution is not to remove spaces from file names.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote: The solution is to fix the program which is not reading the valid file name correctly. The solution is not to remove spaces from file names.
But as a workaround, removing the spaces and using CamelCase, or replacing the spaces with underscores ("_") allows one get on and do some work.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

Zizi64 wrote:Save the document into a known directory (download it) before you try to open it.
I know that I can download it then open, you know how it is trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Just trying to figure out why it won't work the way the my old computer worked.

Thanks for your input
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

rar1955 wrote:
Zizi64 wrote:Save the document into a known directory (download it) before you try to open it.
I know that I can download it then open, you know how it is trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Just trying to figure out why it won't work the way the my old computer worked.

Thanks for your input
As an old computer hand, you should know that there are mysteries mankind is not meant to understand!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

Lupp wrote:
May your new computer's Win-OS (surely 64-bit; Win 10?) be installed without proper support (every detail of) support for 32-bit software?
The first error message you get seems to signal that "file names" containing spaces are not properly interpreted.
The second and third message are related to the same isue and probably indicate that parts of 32-bit supportt are missing.Are you sure that the filename "Power Save 2019.doc" actually is subdivided by ordinary spaces (URL encoding %20)?
Do you know the e-mail client the sender used? Did he send from a browser-based mailer? ...

(Never use blown-up filenames yourself. No spaces! No special characters! Only letters, decimal digits and underscores!)

This is an old file that worked with my old computer. My new computer was bought with Windows 10 64bit installed. I don't know what the sender used or whether he used a browser based emailer.

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

John_Ha wrote:When you open a file attached to an email it places the file in the \Temp folder and the file is deleted when the email client closes. That is message 1.

Detach it first.

Lupp

May I disagree. Windows (and other OS) allows spaces in file and directory names though be careful not to use a spaces as the first or last character as it is very confusing!
I don't understand what you mean by detaching it first.

Rick
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

I don't have a problem with opening a pdf file. Could it be that my old computer had version 4.0.1 and a older version of firefox.

Rick
Attachments
my webmail.JPG
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

Lupp wrote:

Lupp,

I renamed the file with no spaces like you said and that seemed to have fixed the issue.

Thanks
Rick
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Opening a MS Word doc (Open in Browser)

Post by John_Ha »

rar1955 wrote:When trying to open a word doc file from my webmail (Open in Browser) within Firefox Browser I get 3 error messages.
Are you using AOL? If so, report it as a bug to AOL Support as it seems to be AOL's fault. An email provider should be able to handle files with spaces in their names.

See [Solved] Can't open .docx files sent via email

rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

John_Ha,

I'm using COX. I think it has something to do with having a newer version of OpenOfffice or Firefox.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

rar1955 wrote:I'm using COX. I think it has something to do with having a newer version of OpenOfffice or Firefox.
I very much doubt that. There has been no change to AOO. It works fine for me on yahoo and gmail with Firefox.

Does Cox sub contract to AOL for email?

rar1955

Post by rar1955 »

That I couldn't tell you.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It seems from robleyed's post Re: [Solved] Can't open .docx files sent via email that the problem is faulty web page coding.

If a file name on a website has a space (or non alpha-numeric character) in it then the web standards require that file name should be enclosed in quotes as "London Bridge.abc". Such a file works properly. The AOO web site includes quotes so all works OK.

However many web sites have incompetent programmers who ignore standards and do not enclose such file names in quotes. This is an error by the web site author. Such a file downloads OK but does not Open with ..., OK as only the characters up to the first space (or non alpha-numeric character) are recognised, so the file is thought to be called London and, of course, cannot be found.

The problem is not Firefox - it is incompetent web programmers who cannot or will not follow the agreed standards. What has probably happened is that the web page coding has recently been changed. Firefox has known of this problem for some years but does not want to make changes as it breaks the web rules and affects other things in Firefox, especially in other languages.

See Filenames with spaces are truncated upon download for a full explanation and for two extensions which can fix it - Content-Type Fixer and FixDisposition.