Export to xsl-fo

Discuss the word processor
artnevertheless

Export to xsl-fo

Post by artnevertheless »

Hi, Can OO-Writer export an xsl-fo file? I'm looking for a way to visually design documents that can be handed over to a developer for further use in software/applications. The developer is expecting an xsl-fo file and the learning curve for that language might be a bit too steep for me.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.15.2
FJCC

Re: Export to xsl-fo

Post by FJCC »

I had never heard of xsl-fo before and since I have been on this forum for a decade, that is good evidence the OpenOffice does not do that. Looking into xsl-fo a bit, I am more certain that Writer does not export as an xsl-fo file. Writer's main task is to make odt documents and it exports to PDF and more or less successfully to the archaic doc formats of Microsoft Word. That is just about it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

there are some results for xsl-fo in the search here, such as this thread

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3490&start=30
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
artnevertheless wrote:Can OO-Writer export an xsl-fo file?
Tools → XML Filter Settings doesn't appear to have any XSL-FO transforms. However if you have sufficient interest in the project you can probably write an exporter.
Wikipedia: XSL Formatting Objects wrote:The general idea behind XSL-FO's use is that the user writes a document, not in FO, but in an XML language.
An ODT file is an XML document.
Wikipedia: XSL Formatting Objects wrote:Then, the user obtains an XSLT transform, either by writing one themselves or by finding one for the document type in question. This XSLT transform converts the XML into XSL-FO.
Find a transform or learn enough about XSL-FO and XSLT to do it yourself. A web search should find either an ODT → XSL-FO transform or XSLT tutorials.
Wikipedia: XSL Formatting Objects wrote:With the CSS Paged Media Module Level 3, W3C is completing the formulation of an integrated standard for document formatting and to generate PDFs. So, since 2013, CSS3-paged is a W3C proposal for an XSL-FO replacement.
Perhaps XSL-FO isn't a good directon to take. Its use seems to be deprecated.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).