OpenOffice Crashing (with tables???)

Discuss the word processor
Krall

OpenOffice Crashing (with tables???)

Post by Krall »

I installed 4.1.7, on my Windows 10 machine, I noticed that one of my documents that had a lot of tables started acting funny, but I ignored the problems since I was able to get around them. Clue: most of the tables crossed page boundaries. I then made a number of changes and saved the document last week. Today when I attempted to update it today, Open Office crashed. It was a silent crash -- the window brought the document up, then after about two seconds displaying the first page, the window closed. I kept trying -- same problem. I rebooted the PC -- same problem. I then retrieved a previous version of the document (successfully) and re-entered all the changes and, in addition, I forced the tables all to start on a new page. This seems to have solved the problem. Of course the document is larger, with a lot of white space. Maybe OO needs to have table-processing fixed. Or there is something else going on, of which I am not aware
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Crashing (with tables???)

Post by John_Ha »

Is it a .doc? or a .odt file?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Krall

Post by Krall »

It is ODT and the version if 4.1.7. I will check out the documents you suggested in case there are restrictions on table size or on other aspects of table processing.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Without seeing the problem file there is little to suggest.

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

See Item 11A in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images where split tables are often seen - "Similarly, tables can split with large gaps between the parts".
Krall wrote:I forced the tables all to start on a new page. This seems to have solved the problem. Of course the document is larger, with a lot of white space.
The manual suggests manually splitting a table.
Don’t split table — Prevents the table from spanning more than one page.

This [option] can be useful if the table starts near the end of a page, and would look better if it were completely located on the following page. If the table becomes longer than would fit on one page, you will need to either deselect this option or manually split the table.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.