[Solved] Anchoring to paragraph vs character

Discuss the word processor
nite hawk

[Solved] Anchoring to paragraph vs character

Post by nite hawk »

I placed a number of pictures in the book I am writing and tried to anchor them to a certain paragraph. I would "save" and then come back to work on it later only to find that it had switched over to "anchor to character" with every image that I had in the book, ..
Any idea why this is happening,? Also, is anchoring to "character" a better way to anchor an image than to paragraph?
Sorry for so many questions, but I am a newbie, and found the answers on this forum very helpful..
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
open office 4 windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: anchoring to paragraph vs character

Post by Zizi64 »

I would "save" and then come back to work on it later only to find that it had switched over to "anchor to character" with every image that I had in the book, ..
Which file type are you using?
Always use the native, international standard ODF file formats. Note: there is not (never was and never will be) full compatibility between the different file formats.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

That has never happened to me in many years of use.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer and a discussion of anchoring.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:That has never happened to me in many years of use.
... because I always save as a .odt file.

I did a test.
1. Add an image anchored to a paragraph.
2. Save as a .odt file.
3. Save as a .doc file.
4. Open the .odt file. The image is still anchored to the paragraph and everything is as before.
5. Open the .doc file. The image is now anchored to a character where the character is the first one in the following paragraph.

Presumably .doc files don't handle Anchor to a paragraph and AOO has to convert it to what .doc files do handle. I have updated the tutorial to describe this problem.
 Edit: It looks like it is a bug in AOO. 
It is one reason of many why you should always save files as .odt files. Did you read the warning message AOO gave you? Or had you disabled it? :crazy:
Clipboard01.gif
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I remember seeing this years ago when I still saved files in .doc format. IIRC, it happened with OOo 2. It's probably a bug in Writer's .doc export filter.

Issue 96263 - The "anchor" setting of an inserted picture will be modified after saving as .doc files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill

Thanks. I have corrected my tutorial update.

I am relieved I said "Presumably .doc files don't handle Anchor to a paragraph ..."

nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

I am wondering if it has something to do with the format that I am saving it in--I just click "keep current format" which I THINK is probably a "word" type format, as I started the book in word.... and switched over as I have not found Word very stable, and am not real happy with Libre either..
If I click in ODF format, will it change a bunch of thing and will I have to go back and re-format a bunch of stuff?? just wondering
open office 4 windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If I click in ODF format, will it change a bunch of thing and will I have to go back and re-format a bunch of stuff?? just wondering
The NATIVE file format of the AOO/LO is the ODF. The AOO/LO always works in the native file format. When you open a foreign file format document, the document will be conerted into the memory in ODF format. You can edit/add only ODF related properties in the document. And then - when you save the document into a foreign file format -, the AOO/LO will convert the document again. And you will lost some formatting properties at every conversions.

Always use the native fileformats.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

nite hawk wrote:I am wondering if it has something to do with the format that I am saving it in--
Have you read any of the posts in the thread which give you the answer to that question?

Also, read the tutorial you have been pointed to!

nite hawk

Re: Anchoring to paragraph vs character

Post by nite hawk »

I 'saved as" the document as an ODF format, and this time when I opened it, it appears that the pictures that I have changed have stayed as "anchor to paragraph" instead of flipping back to "anchor as character"...
thanks for all your replies.. I appreciate the help on this forum.....
open office 4 windows 10