[Solved] Set tabs in first line of Indented paragraph

Discuss the word processor
RetMSC_Bob

[Solved] Set tabs in first line of Indented paragraph

Post by RetMSC_Bob »

[SOLVED} I am using version 4.1.6 with Windows10
I unable to set tabs in a paragraph style that has Tabs in the hanging first line.
The Paragraph style wanted is this: Before Text: 1.00 Inch, First Line: -1.00 Inch; Tabs: 0.5" Right, 0.75" Decimal, 1.0" Left
When the style is applied to the paragraph, this is what comes out: Before Text: 1.00 Inch, First Line: -1.00 Inch; Tabs: 1.0" (Left?), 1.5" Right, 1.75" Decimal, 2" Left.
What am I doing wrong? Is this not possible? If not possible, it means using Non-breaking spaces for hundreds of paragraphs.
Attachments
example of styles for forum.odt
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Last edited by floris v on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged Solved, floris v, moderator
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Set tabs in first line of Indented paragraph

Post by RoryOF »

Works OK for me, as I understand your requirement. Try the attached file, Paragraph style Fred.
Attachments
Tabs.odt
(11.63 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RetMSC_Bob

Post by RetMSC_Bob »

Your reply example has the same problem as I have. The tabs for the first line are to allow specific entries like Reference number for a finding a the named person later in the document and the number of the person in the list (may be 1 or or than 10).
Please look at my example. The first is the paragraph as defined in the style. the second is the paragraph when the style is applied to an existing paragraph or a new paragraph.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Turn on /View /non printing characters and observe the tab characters. I think your numbering is applied using /Tools /Outline numbering: on the Position tab of that, the number is followed by a predefined tab of 0.3", which is spaced off the text body, so the number is hanging to left of the text body by 0.3". Adjust that, and you should be on the road to success.

I'm now going offline.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Actually, the second paragraph is the one which has the spacing defined in the style (if you remove the extra tabs at the start of the paragraph). The first paragraph does not have the spacing defined in the style because it has automatic numbering applied and the spacing for automatically numbered paragraphs is defined on the Bullets and Numbering dialog. That spacing is applied directly to the numbered paragraph, overriding the spacing in the paragraph style.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RetMSC_Bob

Post by RetMSC_Bob »

Partial Solution. This will number the persons in the list. But it does not allow entry of a Reference Number because the Separator Before is a constant. Will have to keep experimenting to find a way to allow insertion of the Reference number. Will mark as solved
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RetMSC_Bob wrote:I unable to set tabs in a paragraph style that has Tabs in the hanging first line.
The Paragraph style wanted is this: Before Text: 1.00 Inch, First Line: -1.00 Inch; Tabs: 0.5" Right, 0.75" Decimal, 1.0" Left
When the style is applied to the paragraph, this is what comes out: Before Text: 1.00 Inch, First Line: -1.00 Inch; Tabs: 1.0" (Left?), 1.5" Right, 1.75" Decimal, 2" Left.
Tabs are measured from the before paragraph indent in Writer. If you want tabs between the left page margin and the before paragraph indent, you could try adding negative tab settings, but that's something I've never done and don't know how it would work in practice.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04