[Solved] Turning a section of text into all caps?

Discuss the word processor
Zoe Jones

[Solved] Turning a section of text into all caps?

Post by Zoe Jones »

Is there a shortcut for turning a section of text into all caps? I want to change heading in a document I'm editing so that they are all caps, without having to retype them from scratch. I'm thinking of something along the lines of highlighting the text and then hitting a combination of keys, such as cntrl-i that turns it to italics, cntrl-b that turns it to bold, to turn the highlighted words into all capital letters instead of having to right click, go to "case/character", and then choose "uppercase". There are a lot of headings I need to change and any shortcuts I can make will help.

If such a shortcut doesn't exist, perhaps a macro can be made. I don't know if that is an option in Open Office word processor, but I remember making macros years ago in MS Word for all kinds of shortcuts.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice version 4.1.3
Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Turning a section of text into all caps?

Post by jrkrideau »

Format > Text > UPPER-CASE
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Zoe Jones

Post by Zoe Jones »

jrkrideau wrote:Format > Text > UPPER-CASE
Perhaps you didn't read my whole message or I wasn't very clear. What I am seeking is a keyboard shortcut to avoid having to do multiple mouse clicks.
OpenOffice version 4.1.3
Windows 10
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You can set up a keyboard shortcut by going to the menu Tools -> Customize and choosing the Keyboard tab. Set the Category to Format and the Function to Uppercase. You can then assign a key combination. Be careful not to assign a key combination that has another function.
A better approach would be to modify the Heading paragraph style so that it is in upper case and then apply that style to all of the headings. If you later wanted to modify the headings again, you would only have to modify the style, not the individual headings.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If all the headings you wish to change are of the one Style - say Heading 1 - use Find and Replace to search for Styles, choosing Heading 1; then Find All, /Format /Change Case /Uppercase
and voila! All done with the one set of clicks.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zoe Jones

Post by Zoe Jones »

FJCC wrote:You can set up a keyboard shortcut by going to the menu Tools -> Customize and choosing the Keyboard tab. Set the Category to Format and the Function to Uppercase. You can then assign a key combination. Be careful not to assign a key combination that has another function.
A better approach would be to modify the Heading paragraph style so that it is in upper case and then apply that style to all of the headings. If you later wanted to modify the headings again, you would only have to modify the style, not the individual headings.
'

Thank you so much! Those instructions in the first paragraph were exactly what I needed.
OpenOffice version 4.1.3
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The method in the first paragraph is direct formatting and should only be used if the headings were originally formatted using direct formatting. If the headings were formatted by applying a Heading style, then modifying the Heading style is a far better way to change the heading format. Adding direct formatting increases the complexity and size of the document.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Actually, there are already keyboard shortcuts to apply the Heading styles. For example CTRL+1 applies the Heading 1 paragraph style, CTRL+2 applies the Heading 2 paragraph style, etc.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04