Insert field (page number or page count) stopped working

Discuss the word processor
client100

Insert field (page number or page count) stopped working

Post by client100 »

I am using Apache 2.4 for years. Did not account problems. Now, the insert page number or page count is not working. I have all set up right. The footer is ready. I try to "insert"/fields for page number, instead the word "page number" is being inserted in the footer field. I try to insert "page count", instead the word "statistics" is being inserted in the footer. Is this a bag or something?
Windows 10, Open Office 2.4
FJCC

Re: Insert field (page number or page count) stopped working

Post by FJCC »

You need to remove the selection from the menu item View -> Field Names.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While OpenOffice 2.4 may have worked for you for a long time, it is an extremely old version. It was released Mar 27, 2008. Over 11 years ago.
That said, I'd like to recommend that you consider upgrading to the current version, which is 4.1.7 or go to LibreOffice, which has a more active development.

In regards to your actual question, usually when OpenOffice suddenly stops working as we're used to, it's due to a corruption of the OpenOffice User Profile.
More information is in this tutorial

If you do decide to upgrade, due to the differences in the location where the OpenOffice User Profile is stored, an upgrade from 2.x to 3.x or 4.x will generate a new user profile.
Normally this is not the case as the profile location is specific to the major release number.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
client100

Post by client100 »

Actually, I erred. Mine is Open office 4.3. I want to amend my question. If I open the document in open office format, the page numbers in the footer show the word "pagenumber" instead of numbers. But when I open the same document in Libre, it shows the page numbers. What can I do to heal Open Office?
Windows 10, Open Office 2.4
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Just follow the advice provided:
FJCC wrote:You need to remove the selection from the menu item View -> Field Names.
Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is useful to turn on /View /Field shadings; this is an onscreen display only - i.e., non printing, but it would immediately have informed you that "page number" was a field name, which might have encouraged you to toggle /View /Field Names to cure your problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS