Issues saving to external storage

Discuss the word processor
packers12

Issues saving to external storage

Post by packers12 »

I'm writing a book and accidentally bent the flash drive the book was on. The data from the book was transferred to a new flash drive but when I went to save new info on it, the message said I didn't have permission to use the new flash drive. Any idea why this message came up (it never did when I used the old flash drive for two years) and how to do a workaround so I can save new info to the new flash drive. I need to complete my book as soon as possible.
Thank you for any assistance with this.
Bill Irving
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Subject edited to reflect actual problem
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Writer issues

Post by robleyd »

It is possible that Windows Defender, or your anti-virus, is preventing access to the external storage - see [Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 for some advice.

As a work around, save to your internal storage ('hard drive') and use your file manager to copy to the external storage device.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Re: Writer issues

Post by Hagar Delest »

robleyd wrote:As a work around, save to your internal storage ('hard drive') and use your file manager to copy to the external storage device.
I would say it is a must. There are several topics here about files definitively lost because of an issue when saving directly from AOO on an USB key.
Not sure if the problem has been fixed in a recent version but working directly on the external key should be avoided.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Issues saving to external storage

Post by RoryOF »

Also, for any work of importance, a timed/dated backup policy should be in place. The timed/dated backup extension can be downloaded from

http://flowcont.hu/LO_oxt_store/oxt/tim ... v1-2-0.oxt

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism. This extension works on OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Re: Issues saving to extenal storage

Post by RoryOF »

Outside of OpenOffice, can you see the flash drive mounted as a drive? If not, try booting with the flash drive inserted; is it now found? Can you move a file to or from it using the Windows file manager?
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Sounds like an OS problem not one related to OO. Threads like this may help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... f6be704ffc

I've had problems with flash drives falling to bits - you may find an Sdcard more robust.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have known some USB sticks that would not be identified by plugging in; but which were identified and mounted if inserted before computer boot.