Remove unwanted underline

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Nai

Remove unwanted underline

Post by Nai »

Edit: Split from Underlining text since this problem may be different and is from a new person 
I'm having a similar problem with removing unwanted underlining. Everything I type is now underlined.

having tried the actions advised above, without success I wonder if there are any other suggestions.

I have Windows 10 Home Version6/8/2020 OS Build 19043.1110 etc. My OpenOffice version is 4.1.7(A00417m1 Build 9800 rev 46059c9192 etc )

Do I simply need to download the latest version of OpenOffice, if this will work with my version of Windows?

Many thanks.

Ian
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Underlining text

Post by robleyd »

Installing a later version of AOO won't solve your problem.

Without seeing your document, we have to guess; my guess is that you have used Ctrl+U, or the Underline icon in the formatting bar. You imply that you have already tried selecting affected text and using Ctrl+M to clear formatting, and selecting affected text and using Ctrl+U to toggle underlining.

Perhaps try Ctrl+A to select the entire document and Ctrl+M to remove all formatting.

Alternatively, you might attach your document here. Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link gives advice on anonymising your document if needed.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Nai

Post by Nai »

Many thanks David and I'll try your suggestions later today and report results asap.

Cheers
Ian
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Highlight the text > click the icon.
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Nai

Post by Nai »

Hello John.

Many thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately that was the first thing I tried.

It has always worked fine in the past, but not now.

I have also looked at the spellcheck options, but no luck there either.

Regards and thanks again.

Ian
Nai

Post by Nai »

Hello again David,

My spreadsheet is part of the accounts for a members' club and I'd hesitate to forward a copy, in the circumstances, but will seek approval, if necessary from the few members involved.

I seem to remember having a similar underlining problem with my recent open office text documents. Everything I type is underlined in red. Is my spelling really that bad? When I print, there is no sign of the underlining.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks again.

Ian
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The underlining with a wiggly red line indicates that your text language and your dictionary language are not the same.

If your underlining is black solid lines under all (or most) text, press Ctrl A to select all, then Ctrl M.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Nai

Post by Nai »

Many thanks Rory and I'll have a go at correcting any anomalies ( the spell check caught me out with that one! )

Ian
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Nai wrote:Many thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately that was the first thing I tried.
If one or more characters are not underlined, the first click underlines it/them so you may not spot it happening.

Once all characters are underlined, clicking again removes the underline from all characters.
Clipboard01.png
To fix spelling errors follow the instructions in Resetting the user profile or [Tutorial] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined). If that fails, read [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice or search the forum with spell

Try the test file.
Attachments
test.odt
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Nai wrote:My spreadsheet is part of the accounts for a members' club and I'd hesitate to forward a copy
Moving this topic from Writer section to Calc section.
You can delete the content and make sure that you can reproduce the problem, then save under another name and upload that file here (must be less than 128KB).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Nai

Re: Remove unwanted underline

Post by Nai »

Open Office 2 8 2021 .jpg
Another problem, perhaps related to the first, occurred this morning. Random blacked out bands appeared in the body of the spreadsheet that could be temporarily removed by clicking the row number on the far left. The blacked out areas reappeared later. Screenshot of this problem attached.

I have just deleted all spellchecking options and am now able to remove the underlines in the normal way, so far. The black banded areas also seem to have gone ( so far ).

Also downloaded and installed the latest version of Open Office, simply to update my software.

I assume my files may have been corrupted in some way, perhaps and intend to start fresh spreadsheets and try my luck with those. There are about 20 in all and this will take some time, but I don't see an alternative yet.

Many thanks to all who have responded and offered solutions. Please excuse my lack of expertise here!

Nai ( Ian )
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Those black bands are almost certainly the video driver - check you are using the latest version.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree, John; it is worth checking the video driver. I suggest also going to /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /View and unchecking "Use Hardware acceleration" and also "Use anti-aliasing"
 Edit: I would like to know the manufacturer and model of your graphics chip, also the resolution of your display monitor. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Nai

Post by Nai »

Many thanks John and Rory and I'll certainly give that a try.

My graphics chip is a Radeon HD 1.70 GHz set at recommended 1366 x 768.

I'll have a go at unchecking "Use Hardware acceleration" and also "Use anti-aliasing", Rory.

Ian / Nai