[Solved] Grid does not appear

Discuss the word processor
GEFlynn

[Solved] Grid does not appear

Post by GEFlynn »

I am using Writer-Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10. I am laying out a page using text boxes and I would like to align them by using the snap-to feature in Grid. For some reason, when I go into Tools>Options>OpenOffice Writer - Grid, and select Visible and Snapto, the Grid does not appear on my document. What am I leaving out? Why is it not showing up?
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tag [Solved]
Chance favors the prepared mind.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Win 10 Prof.
MrProgrammer

Re: Grid does not appear

Post by MrProgrammer »

GEFlynn wrote:I am using Writer-Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10. I am laying out a page using text boxes and I would like to align them by using the snap-to feature in Grid. For some reason, when I go into Tools>Options>OpenOffice Writer - Grid, and select Visible and Snapto, the Grid does not appear on my document.
The grid on the screen is very faint. Make it easier to see by increasing the Subdivision parameters, say, to 12. You can also specify a more visible color in the OpenOffice → Appearance → Grid option. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms. You must choose a color which contrasts with the document background setting, of course.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
GEFlynn

Post by GEFlynn »

I did darken the appearance to a darker gray. I will try it again. thanks
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Win 10 Prof.
GEFlynn

Post by GEFlynn »

No, it is still not showing up. I've restarted the program several times. I'm going to reboot my computer now.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Win 10 Prof.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It is not a grid of lines. It's a grid of tiny points, barely visible on a high resolution screen. In OpenOffice I have to choose black color increase the zoom factor. The dots become visible at normal zoom level when I decrease the resolution to 1440x810 (16:9).
LibreOffice has larger grid points.
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Last edited by Villeroy on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
GEFlynn

Post by GEFlynn »

Thanks. I'll put on my reading glasses.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Win 10 Prof.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

For me the grid dots are almost invisible on a white document background without using a magnifying glass or the operating system magnification tool. They become more noticeable if the document background is changed to black.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

GEFlynn wrote:No, it is still not showing up. I've restarted the program several times. I'm going to reboot my computer now.
The feature works for me, with the proper settings. No OpenOffice restart or computer reboot was needed. Subdivision=1 is not practical on my system, as the widely spaced, tiny, light grey dots are nearly invisible. The grid is visible to me using Subdivisions=12, and obvious using Subdivisions=24. Using the settings below, Subdivisions=24 means Writer should display 24 dots per centimeter.
4Text.png
GridSet.gif
GridBlack.gif
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Villeroy wrote:LibreOffice has larger grid points.
On my system the grid dots are all 1px in both AOO and LO and their size is not changed by the zoom factor.
See Comment #6 in Bug 104628 - UI: Gridlines in Writer nearly invisible
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I just made a quick experiment; I find if I use /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Appearance and change the Grid colour to a dark colour, I can just see it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
GEFlynn

Post by GEFlynn »

MrProgrammer
Thank you for your persistence. After make the spacing adjustment that you suggested, I finally see the grid. This will be a big help. Thanks again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Win 10 Prof.