[Solved] Thesaurus greyed out in AOO 4.1.7 on Windows 10

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Thesaurus greyed out in AOO 4.1.7 on Windows 10

Postby Oddjob » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi Guys, when I recently got a new pc I downloaded the latest version of Open Office 4.1.7 and Thesaurus worked ok, Now for some unknown reason it's greyed out. I have followed the Help instructions as instructed (below), but it still doesn't work. In that instruction it says "...in the Available language modules list, select one of the language modules...", but that dialogue box field on my pc is completely EMPTY, ie. there are NO language modules to choose from. I simply want an English language UK Thesaurus enabled.
Thanks for any advice to get this working.
Regards, Peter

"To access this command...
Choose Tools - Options - Language Settings - Writing Aids, in the Available language modules list, select one of the language modules and then click Edit."...
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.2 installed on Windows Vista
Oddjob

Re: Thesaurus greyed out in Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:26 pm

First, try resetting your user profile (that's where the settings are stored):

viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403

If that doesn't fix the problem, then reinstall AOO, and select the Repair option.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Oddjob » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks Bill, you're a star :) your quick fix advice to append ".old" to the Open Office folder name fixed it in a blink. Great to have you knowledgeable guys to call on for these quirks that occur sometimes without reason. Keep up the good work.
Oddjob

Postby RoryOF » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:42 pm

That your Thesaurus and/or spelling got lost suggests you may be closing down your computer slightly too fast. The OO file format is more complex than a flat file format, and takes slightly longer to prepare and write; the last thing to be written is the OO housekeeping file, which is written after every session. If it is denied the second or two to flush to disk from the drive's internal buffers, one can lose spellcheck or Thesaurus, or sometimes even the file itself. So give it a second or two before powering off or snapping a laptop lid closed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Thesaurus greyed out in AOO 4.1.7 on Windows 10

Postby Oddjob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks for the tip Rory. Yep that could be the cause, I do tend to close the pc down at the keyboard 'shutdown' switch on my new pc., this option wasn't on my old pc, and had to close down via the Windows 'Start' key, which did indeed take longer than presently. Will remember this little quirk in future :)
Oddjob

Re: [Solved] Thesaurus greyed out in AOO 4.1.7 on Windows 10

Postby RoryOF » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm

I suggest to people to close down via the Start button, Shut Down, and then gather their pens and papers - even if they only tidy then into a neat heap. That should be long enough for disk activity to cease _UNLESS_ Windows has decided to do an update and is busy downloading data and tweaking the system.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer