How To Delete A Document

Discuss the word processor

How To Delete A Document

Postby NurdBurd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:19 pm

I need to know how (if possible) to delete a document (file) from within Writer. Presently I got to File Explorer, locate the document, and then delete the file. I hope there is a process that allows users to permanently remove a document from within Apache Open Office.
Thank you.

(If this question has already been answered, please specify that solution in your response, please.)
AOO 4.1.7, Windows 10 PRO 64-bit, Google Chrome, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
NurdBurd

Re: How To Delete A Document

Postby RoryOF » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 pm

If I remember correctly selecting a document in OpenOffice's /File /Open, then pressing Delete key will delete it. If what you mean is to remove it from OO's Recent Documents, there is a Clear List setting at the bottom of the list of Recent Documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby robleyd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:17 am

Or, select a file in the File | Open dialog and right click on it. You can select multiple contiguous files with Shift + click, or non-contiguous files with Ctrl + click.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby JeJe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:52 pm

You can do it by macro using the Kill statement. From the help file for OOO Basic:

Kill Statement [Run-time]
Deletes a file from a disc.
Syntax:
Kill File As String
Parameters:
File: Any string expression that contains an unambiguous file specification. You can also use URL notation.
Error Codes
5 Invalid procedure call
76 Path not found
Example:
sub ExampleKill
Kill "C:\datafile.dat" REM File must be created in advance
end sub
Openoffice 4.1.2
Windows 8
JeJe
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:25 pm

robleyd wrote:Or, select a file in the File | Open dialog and right click on it. You can select multiple contiguous files with Shift + click, or non-contiguous files with Ctrl + click.

I have a feeling that manipulating files (perhaps doing complex things like creating or deleting new folders etc) through the AOO dialogue window can, in some undefined circumstances, cause the "multiple soffice.bin" problem and AOO hangs. It has happened to me at least once but I cannot replicate what I did to cause it.
LO 6.3.5.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Note that deleting a document from the computer, however done, will not remove it from the OpenOffice Recent Documents list; clicking on it there will give a "document not found" message. As other documents are opened that entry of the deleted document will scroll on the list until eventually scrolled off it. If immediate deletion from that list is needed one can clear the entire list by using the "clear list" entry at the list bottom.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer