[Solved] LibreOffice no right click spell check

Discuss the word processor
triplemaya

[Solved] LibreOffice no right click spell check

Post by triplemaya »

New install of Ubuntu Mate 18.04.

No right click for spelling in writer as there is in open office -- and ms word! (Just to be clear: Misspelled word. Wiggly line. Right click in open office writer gives me the spellcheck options. Right click in libre office gives me only a menu for paste, paste special, ... !! :twisted: )

Is this a setting!?!?

Off topic as this is the open office forum but hoping someone can help.

(Having logged to libre office help, formulated my question and dutifully searched the database, I had to go through a catchpa with ten or more visual tick screens. THEN, because none of the tags i had put in was 'writer', i got the catchpa AGAIN. I quit. This has added to my loathing of libre which imo has changed a great number of facilities with no proper reason which make it very difficult transition. (happy to hear alternative points of view.)) (The only reason I continue the attempt to use libre fluidly is so that I can operate in this app if that is what is installed, as with my recent experience.)
Last edited by triplemaya on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 Debian Wheezy
RoryOF

Re: Libre office no right click spell check

Post by RoryOF »

I have just checked using OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.4; if I right click on a correct word, I get offered access to Synonyms and through that to Thesaurus. If I right click on a red wiggly underlined word, I get offered various options (mostly hyphenation and capitalisation) for that word and access to "Spelling and Grammar".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
triplemaya

Post by triplemaya »

Thanks, but I am looking for a solution for LIBRE office. Hence the apologetic tone of my post!
I use open office all day every day. 4.1.6. Brilliant. No problems.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I realise that you are looking for a LibreOffice solution; however, I was checking that the facility is still available when running on an Ubuntu 18.04.4 distro.

It may be that the document(s) you are trying to check have no language set, or an incorrect language. The language at the cursor location is shown in the middle of the Status Bar (bottom bar) of OpenOffice (presumably also on LibreOffice); if the status bar is not shown, select /View /Status Bar.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
triplemaya

Post by triplemaya »

Thanks but that is not the problem. The wiggly line is there, so the spellchecker is active. So the correct language is set.
triplemaya

Post by triplemaya »

And now it is??!!?!??!

My bad. False alarm. Problem solved.

No idea what changed but now it works just as I think it should.