Windows 10 Auto Update Destroyed/Overwrote Unsaved Work

Discuss the word processor

Windows 10 Auto Update Destroyed/Overwrote Unsaved Work

Postby astrochef13 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:33 am

As many are aware, Windows 10 auto updates, often at the most inconvenient of times. Still, I often find myself working on multiple .ODT files at once and I don't always get to save them before shutting down work for the day. That said, Windows 10 has updated before and I've had no problem with the AutoRecovery function doing its job. This time however, all my open work is gone! (October 8th, 2019) AutoRecovery didn't recover anything, and in fact links back to previous work dated to 2017, which I find weird. Anyway, that's not my main issue. My issue is, that because Windows gets to do whatever the heck they want, it seems that after using Recuva to seek out those Untitled.odt files, I cannot but partially recover them and they appear to have been overwritten--but the file remains searchable in Recuva (which I don't know if that means anything or not. All that shows up in the partly recovered file when opened in OpenOffice Writer is gibberish including lots of hashes, seemingly random numbers, dots, dashes, symbols, boxes, etc. What the heck went wrong and is it possible to decode or find the original files? Why the he** did/would OpenOffice backup files get overwritten by Windows files? Huh!? Much invaluable, original work will be lost if not. Help me, please.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
astrochef13

Re: Windows 10 Auto Update Destroyed/Overwrote Unsaved Work

Postby Villeroy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am

If you are married with a bad operating system, you have to take care of your your mental health and your precious data. First of all, even before all the anti-virus trouble, you have to organize regular backups (daily at least) to a separate data medium.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:36 pm

When you edit a file all changes are held in the PC memory until you save the file. So, if W10 reboots the PC all these changes will be lost.

Never walk away from a PC without first saving your work properly.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on AutoSave and Create backup copies and on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby astrochef13 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:46 pm

As I stated before, I have already used Recuva to find the missing files. The problem is that Recuva is telling me that, although it found the files, they have been "overwritten" by other various files due to the Windows update--This Has Never Happened Before! Any ideas or are they lost forever???
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
astrochef13

Postby RoryOF » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm

You have what you have, I fear. It may be that some of the Recuva files have content at the end, and others at the start, so that by careful editing you might recreate (or largely so) your entire file. Note that you may also have to rename the found files outside of OpenOffice to .odt or as appropriate, to cause then to be opened by OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer