Spellcheck not working and red wavey lines

Discuss the word processor
Anovice

Spellcheck not working and red wavey lines

Post by Anovice »

Again, I am extremely computer challenged and need explicit instructions.

I have Windows 10 and been using OpenOffice 3.4.1 for a long time. Spellcheck has not been working for a while now. I have read the tutorial. I have a rather big project coming up and it would be great if spellcheck worked.

It seems that I have Extention Manager OOo 3 installed. I tried resetting my profile with a solution posted below (great step by step instructions!), substituting the 4 with a 3, but it is not recognizing me.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99030

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anovice
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Spellcheck not working and red wavey lines

Post by robleyd »

it is not recognizing me
What does this mean? What are you doing, and what is happening as a result?

The fourth post in the link you gave has explicit instructions - did you follow them, substituting 3 for 5?

See also [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined) which is the first topic in this section of the forum - there is a link in it to instructions on resetting the profile.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Anovice

Post by Anovice »

1. I copied and pasted the command line cd %APPDATA\OpenOffice\4\

2. Win + R

3. Typed cmd

4. A black window pops up. In it c:\users\coate>

5. I Pasted cd %APPDATA\OpenOffice\4\ but I changed the 4 to a 3

6. Hit enter

7. "The system cannot find the path specified
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Windows won't recognize "%APPDATA\". It should be "%APPDATA%\".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Anovice

Post by Anovice »

The "%APPDATA\" was a typo in my post. I copied and pasted from the link (included the second %) and changed the 4 to a 3.

I just tried again and the same. "The system cannot find the path specified".
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do a system file search and look for a folder called "user" (no quotes), which will be under a folder called "4" (or "3", depending on your version of OpenOffice). Then right click on user and rename to user.old.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Anovice

Post by Anovice »

Unfortunately, I am computer challenged and do not know how to proceed with this. May I ask you to lead me through? I'll owe you a Galway Bay of your choice!

I have OpenOffice 3.4.1 and am running Windows 10.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Try Windows tutorial videos to get comfortable with Wndows if you can't get help from somebody near you.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

In the little black window try to paste: C:\Users\coate\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice instead of %appdata%\OpenOffice\4

There should be three items. The last one should be the one you need. It should be called 3 or 4. If not, use the name you see there

Type: cd 3 (or 4 or the name you see instead of 3)

You now should be in the directory were the user profile is. You will see an item user.

Then you can proceed with the other post

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Anovice wrote:Unfortunately, I am computer challenged and do not know how to proceed with this. May I ask you to lead me through? I'll owe you a Galway Bay of your choice!

I have OpenOffice 3.4.1 and am running Windows 10.
I am not using Windows 10, so cannot offer advice specific to your operating system.

I have changed your Forum signature to indicate you are using Windows 10, as that will help you get more specific advice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Anovice

Post by Anovice »

DiGro wrote:In the little black window try to paste: C:\Users\coate\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice instead of %appdata%\OpenOffice\4

There should be three items. The last one should be the one you need. It should be called 3 or 4. If not, use the name you see there

Type: cd 3 (or 4 or the name you see instead of 3)

You now should be in the directory were the user profile is. You will see an item user.

Then you can proceed with the other post

1. Win +R

2. I typed cmd

3. A black window pops up. In it is c:\Users\coate>

4. I can't delete c:\Users\coate> so I end up with c:\Users\coate>C:\Users\coate\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice

5. I hit enter

6. c:\Users...is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Anovice wrote:3. A black window pops up. In it is c:\Users\coate>

4. I can't delete c:\Users\coate

That's good. All of your documents are stored in c:\Users\coate. If you did delete c:\Users\coate, all of your document files would be deleted.

If you're "computer challenged", you probably shouldn't be trying to use the command line to fix the problem, but I wouldn't waste time trying to fix SpellCheck in AOO 3.4.1.

If I recall correctly, AOO 3.4.1 included extra dictionaries that caused problems getting SpellCheck to work properly. The latest version of AOO doesn't include those extra dictionaries. If you install the latest version of AOO and don't import your user profile from AOO 3.4.1, then Spellcheck should work properly in the latest version.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

** Edited: Answer was totally wrong and I've deleted it. **

Floris is right.

In the little black window there will be: c:\Users\coate >

behind the > type: cd , type a space with the spacebar, and then paste c:\users\coate\appdata\roaming\openoffice

The little black window should show:

c:\Users\coate > cd c:\users\coate\appdata\roaming\openoffice

(the cd wil Change Directory to what is typed behind that. In this case c:\users\coate\appdata\roaming\openoffice)

Then proceed as mentioned earlier
Last edited by DiGro on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Shouldn't you enter "cd" before that because if you just enter a directory path, it will try to execute it as a command?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the first post in the forum which is [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined). It has detailed instructions and points to a macro which does everything.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Unfortunately, I am computer challenged and do not know how to proceed with this.
Do you familiar to the old fashioned file manager softwares, like the Total Commander or the Unreal Commander (Free Commander, etc...)
Install and use one of them. You must set the "Show hidden and System files" option in the settings of the Commander, and then you can nacigate to the User profile of the Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

I have Windows 10 and been using OpenOffice 3.4.1 for a long time.
Do not use such archaic old versions. Nobody will fix the bugs of that version.
Try the latest Still version (6.1.6, 6.2.6) of the LibreOffice or the latest Apache Openoffice (4.1.6)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

In case you haven't resolved this yet, a new topic on resetting a profile under Windows 10, with images, can be seen at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=99158
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Anovice

Post by Anovice »

Bill wrote:
Anovice wrote:3. A black window pops up. In it is c:\Users\coate>

4. I can't delete c:\Users\coate

That's good. All of your documents are stored in c:\Users\coate. If you did delete c:\Users\coate, all of your document files would be deleted.

If you're "computer challenged", you probably shouldn't be trying to use the command line to fix the problem, but I wouldn't waste time trying to fix SpellCheck in AOO 3.4.1.

If I recall correctly, AOO 3.4.1 included extra dictionaries that caused problems getting SpellCheck to work properly. The latest version of AOO doesn't include those extra dictionaries.
If you install the latest version of AOO and don't import your user profile from AOO 3.4.1, then Spellcheck should work properly in the latest version.

I am not getting anywhere fixing SpellCheck with my current version of AOO 3.4.1. All I need with AOO is a Text Document. I do not need all the bells and whistles. To that end, I have a few questions:

1. If I uninstall AOO 3.4.1 and install a new version of AOO will that solve the SpellCheck problem?
2. If so, which version should I install?
3. I see in Bill's post he says, "If you install the latest version of AOO and don't import your user profile from AOO 3.4.1, then SpellCheck should work properly in the latest version". How can I make certain that I do not import my user profile from AOO 3.4.1?

Any step by step help to get me through this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anovice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Re 1: It should solve those problems. Of course, you never know.
Re 2: Install the latest version, that's 4.1.6. You get automatically directed to it, anyway.
Re 3: During installation, the install program will throw a window at you, asking if you want to import the old user profile. Decline. That's all there is to it.

Reading tutorials can be a pretty daunting experience. You shouldn't let it intimidate you, though. Just keep the tutorial open and carry out all of the steps in it. Just reduce the window size so you can have the install program and the tutorial side by side. Then it will be obvious what you have to do at each step.
Nederlandstalig forum