Unable to open .docx

Discuss the word processor
abscomm

Unable to open .docx

Post by abscomm »

Hello, I have the latest version of Open Office installed on Windows7 but am unable to open .docx files. Please help.

John
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Unable to open .docx

Post by RoryOF »

How are you trying to open the files?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
abscomm

Post by abscomm »

I have tried clicking on the file and saying use Open Office writer and I have tried opening open office writer and saying open the .docx file after specifying type .docx. Why, what would you suggest?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is this every .docx file, or just one? Has it come by email?

In OpenOffice /File /Open will permit you to navigate to the directory in which the file(s) are stored. Then select the desired file, and press the Open button. If it/they open in that way, we can sort out the method of opening by double clicking on it.

It is possible that some .docx files will not open using OO.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Place the .docx file on your desktop
2. File > Open ..., and navigate to the file. Does it open?

If not

3. Rename the file from xxxxx.docx to xxxxx.zip. Double click it. If it is a real .docx file you will get something like this. If you don't, it isn't a .docx file.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
abscomm

Post by abscomm »

Yes I get something very similar .
abscomm

Post by abscomm »

Also, no it does not open. Well technically, I suppose it does open to a blank document that seems to have some sort of tabbed structure to it but nothing else.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

So it does open. The problem is that, when opened, it is just it is blank.

It probably contains a textbox - See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your signature is:
John
OpenOffice 4.5.1 on Windows 7
There is not Apache OpenOffice 4.5.1 version yet.
Are you using LibreOffice? If the ansver is "not", then
- probably you are using AOO 4.1.5
- you can try the LibreOffice. It has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign file formats, and the LO can save into "OOXML Strict" .docx format.

Please upload your .docx type sample document here.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
abscomm

Post by abscomm »

No it is AOO 4.1.5 so sorry that my mistake in typing that caused you so much angst. I did however state that it was the latest version of Open Office so you should have assumed that I was not using LibreOffice :)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I did however state that it was the latest version of Open Office so you should have assumed that I was not using LibreOffice
Quite often we notice that people do not distinguish correctly between AOO and LO, so making that assumption may well lead to incorrect advice being given. This is why we try to ensure we know exactly what you are using. The more precise your description of the environment and problem you are encountering, the less difficulty there is likely to be in readily finding a resolution.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try AbiWord; it has sometimes opened .docx files that OO could not. However, do _not_ Save over the existing .docx file, so that you maintain the original unchanged.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Zizi64 wrote:you can try the LibreOffice. It has a little bit higher compatibility with the foreign file formats, and the LO can save into "OOXML Strict" .docx format.
Zizi64
Can LO save as either "strict" or "traditional, nonstrict"? LO can view and save MS Word Draw Textboxes which are not part of "OOXML Strict".

Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can LO save as either "strict" or "traditional, nonstrict"? LO can view and save MS Word Draw Textboxes which are not part of "OOXML Strict".
The non-strict version of the OOXML Standard is named "Transitional". The name shows: it was developed for a transitional period, but the MS can not make the Strict version as the DEFAULT file format until now. They
can not do it, or they do not want it: "that is a question"...

I have not any information of the strategy of MS, and I have not too much information about the develepment strategy of the LO team. They want to achieve a higher compatibility, but is is not an easy thing while the Transitional version often will be changed.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.