[Solved] Spellchecker again

Discuss the word processor
jmk

[Solved] Spellchecker again

Post by jmk »

This is about Writer underlining every word in spellchecker. Sorry, I can't follow the instructions for creating a New User profile. I get to the lines that say "before Vista" and "from Vista", but nothing about Windows 8 or 8.1. Until this started a week or so ago, Writer has been working fine. It's not clear to me whether or not you are asking me to create a new user account for the computer, or just for Open Office. I don't want to have to change my computer user account each time I use Open Office. Anyway, can someone in the Forum walk me through the process needed for Windows 8.1? Thank you. :?
Last edited by jmk on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Spellchecker again

Post by RoryOF »

Use the "From Vista" settings and all should be well.

Or do this close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder (user.old is good to use). Start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory's method will work but you will lose your settings, added words etc.

Using the script as described in the first post in the forum works without deleting your settings.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone local to you to help you or take them, and your PC, to a PC repair shop.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jmk

Post by jmk »

Thanks, John. I didn't find any of those topics to be helpful with regards to the spellchecker malfunction. Unfortunately you were correct in that I lost much info in doing the change to the user folder, i.e., I lost my hundreds-of-words science dictionary. Nonetheless, the %appdata%\openoffice\4 got me to the correct folder, which I renamed user.old. At least the spellchecker is working correctly, now. Any recommendation on recovering my science dictionary?
robleyd

Re: Spellchecker again SOLVED

Post by robleyd »

You haven't lost your dictionary, you have just moved it :)

[Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile will tell you probably more that you wanted to know about the profile.

In a nutshell, to reinstate your dictionary, close AOO and go to the directory wordbook in the user.old directory; in there you will find a, or several, files depending on how many personalised dictionaries you had. Copy it/them into the directory wordbook in the new user directory and restart AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

jmk wrote:Unfortunately you were correct in that I lost much info in doing the change to the user folder, i.e., I lost my hundreds-of-words science dictionary.
Either:

1 Read the tutorial robleyd has pointed you to and copy back everything from ...\user.old to ...\user with the exception of \config which is where the corruption lies;

or

2 Delete the new ...\user. Rename ...\user.old to ...\user. Now run the macro given in the first post in this forum.
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jmk

Re: [Solved] Spellchecker again

Post by jmk »

Thanks, will give it a whirl.