Compatability of OpenOffice Writer and MS Word

Discuss the word processor
bigdog009

Compatability of OpenOffice Writer and MS Word

Post by bigdog009 »

I have a grandson that has been told his open office writer homework documents will not open in MS word. I downloaded the open office software to help him. Is this a wives tale or is there a compatibility setting that can help him? His family cannot afford the MS office software.

I greatly appreciate any assistance.
open office 4.01 windows 7 ultimate
RoryOF

Re: compatability of open office writer and MS word

Post by RoryOF »

He needs to save as type MS Office 97/2000/XP, selecting that file type from the file type drop down in /file /save as window. Automatic file name extension should be checked.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The documents can be saved in the doc format that Word used previously. Go to File -> Save As and from the Save As Type list select Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP. You may get a warning about saving in a non-Open Document format and just click Continue. It is safest to save in the native odt format and only when you have a final version save a duplicate in the Word format. If the documents are complicated, with lots of tables and complex formatting, it is more likely that the export to the Word format will not look right.
MS Word since the 2007 version should be able to read odt files. Is the school's software that old?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Recent versions of MS Word follow the standard and do open Writer documents like many other programs do.
OpenOffice can be downloaded and distributed for free.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Re: Compatability of OpenOffice Writer and MS Word

Post by RusselB »

Regretfully some people will use this (or similar) to try to improve their stock options that they hold in companies like Microsoft.
I found this when I was helping a friend that was having a similar problem. I insisted that the teacher prove to me that MS Word wouldn't open the ODT file, by opening it in front of me so I could see the actual responses from MS Word.
No surprise, to me at least, the ODT file opened with no problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.