Copied table from one odb file to another, tables linked

Creating tables and queries
cwdavi1

Copied table from one odb file to another, tables linked

Post by cwdavi1 »

I'm developing some base applications. I have a stable odb file and a separate development odb file. When I finish a new table or query I copy it from the development file into the stable one. I've found that the tables in different odb files are linked. i.e. if I change data in one table the change shows up in the other. When I crash on the development odb file and lose a table I lose it in both.

When I copy a table I follow the documented procedure. I suspect that renaming the pasted table will not make any difference. How do I prevent this behavior? When I'm finished I'm going to a split database of course but for now I need to be able to make changes that I couldn't do in a split database.

I'm using a dev version of lo, Version: 6.3.2.0.0+ (x64)
Build ID: de3933d0a5d37ea215dd16abd4aef0dd25b6c315, on win 10 pro.

Thank you.
Libreoffice 6.3 on Windows 10 Pro
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: copied table from one odb file to another, tables linked

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I've only seen that occur when the .odb file was copied onto the same logical drive in Windows.
If you copy the .obd file to another logical drive or maybe a USB thumb drive they shouldn't be linked.
Or create a new .odb file and copy the tables one by one to that that file.
Or better yet create a JDBC (Split) database. You can copy Tables, Queries, Forms and Reports back and forth between a split database and an Embedded one and they can't possibly be linked.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
cwdavi1

Re: copied table from one odb file to another, tables linked

Post by cwdavi1 »

Thank you. I have a split database but didn't realize that I could copy a table or query out, work on it, then replace it. That's what I'll do. I won't mark this as solved though, this was unexpected behavior and cost me a lot of time..
Libreoffice 6.3 on Windows 10 Pro
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Copied table from one odb file to another, tables linked

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Be aware that is Windows not Base that creates the link when you copy a file with the same name on the same logical drive.
Another way to keep Windows from creating the link is to save it with a different name.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11