Can I create different screen views of tables?

Creating tables and queries
summerleas

Can I create different screen views of tables?

Post by summerleas »

I use FileMaker Pro, but I might need to make 3 data bases available to others, so using Base could be useful. The data bases are simple tables with no relationships. So selecting/searching should be easy. But I have a question due to ignorance of Base:

FileMaker separates layouts (lists, forms etc) from the data base. So I can create a “table” view on the screen that only contains selected fields and scroll through and search that. I can also have a forms “list” view where there are several forms on the screen and I can scroll through and search them easily seeing several at once. Can I create such layouts in Base? Either or both.

A simple example. A data base consists of about 27,000 names, locations, dates (years and months separately because of the source data, which is 18th and 19th century hand-written sales books), number of items etc. I need a display that includes only names and locations. I also need a display that includes only names and another field. Extremely easy to do in FileMaker Pro, but I have no idea how to do it in Base!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Mac OS 10.11.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Can I create different screen views of tables?

Post by Villeroy »

summerleas wrote: I also need a display that includes only names and another field.
Insert>Query...

Code: Select all

SELECT "Name", "Other Field" FROM "Somewhere"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Can I create different screen views of tables?

Post by UnklDonald418 »

A Base form document can display multiple forms each with a different data source (table or query). There are filtering options (queries) so the
view on the screen that only contains selected fields
SubForms are another feature than can help with searching and filtering.
OpenOffice user manuals can be found at:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
Chapter 8 deals with Base and has a section on creating and maintaining Base forms.
There is also a lot of information that you might find useful at
[Example #1] Filter/Search with Forms (leveraging SubForms)
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11