Base: Import Excel Data

Creating tables and queries
canoeheadca

Base: Import Excel Data

Post by canoeheadca »

Teaching myself Base

Trying to import some data from excel to Base. I have a table but when I try to paste copied data into the table from excel there is no paste option.

i did it yesterday...but today there does not seem to be a paste option no matter how i try.

can anyone help?

thanks
openOffice 4.1.5 on W10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Base: Import Excel Data

Post by Villeroy »

You can connect a database to an xls(x) document which gives a pseudo-databse for mail merger etc.
And you can simply open the file with OpenOffice, copy the data (with or without column labels), select a table icon in Base and paste. Follow the dialog which lets you choose several options and map incoming fields to the existing fields.
I do not recommend creating a new table from clipboard data. This leads to bad data types, import errors, consistency problems. Always import raw data into well prepared tables.
This forum has a section for Base tutorials and Base examples.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
canoeheadca

Post by canoeheadca »

Thanks, i think i am doing that...ive made a table with the proper fields and save the table, i then open excel and copy the data I want to move to Base. I right click on the Base table I created but no Paste option comes up.
openOffice 4.1.5 on W10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The clipboard transfer works from Calc to Base, not from Excel to Base.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice