Making choices in the database

Creating tables and queries
coachbradb

Making choices in the database

Post by coachbradb »

What I want to do is write a database that lets me make a choice for my fitness data.

I want to be able to choose cardio or strength training and then take me to those specific questions. I used to program in informix years ago on a unix box but it has been 30 years. I cant figure how to have it make this choice and send me to the right form.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Thanks in advance.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Making choices in the database

Post by Villeroy »

The HSQL database engine that is shipped with your office suite is just a normal, standard conformant, relational SQL database. Nothing special, not even modern.
Make a cardio form for cardio and a strength form for the other occasions. Open whatever form you need. This office suite is not a full blown database development suite. The database component is nothing more than a bridge between databases and office documents. It weighs no more than 15MB including several drivers for various database types.
It is impossible to answer any question on database design or form design without knowing anything about your actual database
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
coachbradb

Post by coachbradb »

Thats exactly what I have done. I have made two databases, one for each. I really wanted to make a drop down box to choose cardio or strength. I am finding out what you are saying is true. I perhaps need to find a different engine. I really appreciate you replying back to me. I wasnt sure, since this is open source, if there was not some sort of replacement or add on. Again, thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You mean you've made 2 tables because cardio and strength require different attributes in different columns? The database engine will not make any difference here. Why not open both forms simultaniously and switch windows to edit either category.

IF both categories basically share the same attributes, you should definitively put all the records in one table together with a boolean field to distinguish between them or possibly distinguish cardio and strength by other means.

Since you did not make your database availlable, we are totally blind regarding what you are actually trying to store in that database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

2 related tables, a third one for filter criteria, some slightly advanced queries and an advanced hierarchy of input forms. No macro code.
Attachments
activities.odb
Logging several activities of two activity types.
(16.49 KiB) Downloaded 252 times