[Solved] Help with query re spread of sizes

Creating tables and queries
cartoonjazz

[Solved] Help with query re spread of sizes

Post by cartoonjazz »

Can someone offer some guidance for a newb not sure how to do this
I have a table that contains a list of skus with size after a dash, quantities and sizes
I need the query to search within the quantity/size per each grouping of same skus before the dash and
-if there 1 or greater in quantity in 2 out of the following sizes: 71, 76, 81 & 86 and not in sizes 91, 97, 102, 107 & 112 another column should say "women"

-if there 1 or greater in quantity in 2 out of the following sizes: 91, 97, 102, 107 & 112 and not in sizes 71, 76, 81 & 86 the other column should say "men"

-if there is 1 or greater in quantity in 1 of the sizes in both groups then the column should say "both"
the result should look like this
Let me know if you have any questions
Last edited by cartoonjazz on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openoffice 4.1.2 windows 10
eremmel

Re: help with query re spread of sizes

Post by eremmel »

In Base you can define queries and those query-names you can use in another query.
I assume that the size value for your sku without a dash is null. You need to add to the queries below some double quotes around the names etc, below it is just a sketch...
Call the following query "SkuGroups"

Code: Select all

SELECT sku AS skugroup FROM table WHERE size IS NULL
Call the following query "SkuWithQuantity"

SELECT SkuGroups.skugroup, table.sku, table.quantity, table.size
  , CASE WHEN table.size in ( 71,76,81,86) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END as men
  , CASE WHEN table.size in ( 71,76,81,86) THEN 0 ELSE 1 END as woman
FROM SkuGroups INNER JOIN table ON SkuGroups.skugroup = SUBSTR(table.sku,1,6)
WHERE table.quantity > 0

Call the following query "SkuGender"

SELECT skugroup 
CASE WHEN SUM(men) >=  1 and SUM(women) >= 1 THEN 'both'
  WHEN SUM(men) >= 2 THEN 'men'
  WHEN SUM(woman) >= 2 THEN 'women'
  ELSE 'alien' END as "gender"
FROM SkuWithQuantity
GROUP BY skugroup 
Call the following query "FinalResult"

SELECT SkuWithQuantity.sku, SkuKind.gender
FROM SkuGender INNER JOIN SkuWithQuantity ON SkuGender.skugroup = SkuWithQuantity.skugroup
WHERE SkuGender.gender <> 'alien'
ORDER BY SkuWithQuantity.sku 
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
cartoonjazz

Post by cartoonjazz »

Thanks, I tried it but Im getting errors in all queries except "SkuGroups"

"SkuWithQuantity" has an error "ùnexpected token: men" here is the adjusted query with quotes
SELECT "SkuGroups"."skugroup", "table"."sku", "table"."quantity", "table"."size"
, CASE WHEN "table"."size" in ( 71,76,81,86) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END as 'men'
, CASE WHEN "table"."size" in ( 71,76,81,86) THEN 0 ELSE 1 END as 'woman'
FROM "SkuGroups" INNER JOIN "table" ON "SkuGroups"."skugroup" = SUBSTR("table"."sku",1,6)
WHERE "table"."quantity" > 0

then all the other queries rely on this query so they dont work i have put them in. If you can confirm the quotes are correct.
"SkuGender"
SELECT "skugroup"
CASE WHEN SUM('men') >= 1 and SUM('women') >= 1 THEN 'both'
WHEN SUM('men') >= 2 THEN 'men'
WHEN SUM('woman') >= 2 THEN 'women'
ELSE 'alien' END as "gender"
FROM "SkuWithQuantity"
GROUP BY "skugroup"

"result"
SELECT "SkuWithQuantity"."sku", "SkuKind"."gender"
FROM "SkuGender" INNER JOIN "SkuWithQuantity" ON "SkuGender"."skugroup" = "SkuWithQuantity"."skugroup"
WHERE "SkuGender"."gender" <> 'alien'
ORDER BY "SkuWithQuantity"."sku"
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

Try to use' Direct SQL' , mention the error details, Include a demo Base document with the queries.
 Edit: 1: A note in your queries: Alias names (rename a column name or table name) can not be placed between single quotes, but can be placed between double quotes.
Single quotes are pure reserved for string literals. So some men/women have to be written as "men" / "women" and others as 'men' / ' women'.
2: I also mixed up "women" and "woman" make sure all read as "women" 
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Help with query re spread of sizes

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I've been following this thread and have found that the query SqlGender won't run on an embedded database. A simple CASE WHEN ELSE will work but CASE WHEN WHEN ELSE generates an error. The SqlGender query does work in a split database, in fact the I got it all working after one more correction to the query FinalResult. "SkuKind"."gender" should be "SkuGender"."gender"

To convert to a split database see:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=65980
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
eremmel

Re: Help with query re spread of sizes

Post by eremmel »

@UnkDonald418, A "CASE WHEN WHEN ELSE END" is supported but not with the combination of SUM(). After the feedback of cartoonjazz, I tested it quickly and need to transform query "SqlGender" into

SELECT "SWQ"."skugroup", "men", "women"
     , CASE WHEN "SWQ"."men" >= 1 AND "SWQ"."women" >= 1 THEN 'both' 
         WHEN "SWQ"."men" >= 2 THEN 'men' 
         WHEN "SWQ"."women" >= 2 THEN 'women' 
         ELSE 'alien' END AS "gender" 
FROM ( SELECT "skugroup", SUM( "men" ) "men", SUM( "women" ) "women" 
              FROM "SkuWithQuantity" 
              GROUP BY "skugroup" ) "SWQ"
cartoonjazz

Re: [Solved] Help with query re spread of sizes

Post by cartoonjazz »

Here are all the adjusted queries now working thanks very much to eremmel
"SkuWithQuantity"
SELECT "SkuGroups"."skugroup", "table"."sku", "table"."quantity", "table"."size", CASE WHEN "table"."size" IN ( 71, 76, 81, 86 ) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS "men", CASE WHEN "table"."size" IN ( 71, 76, 81, 86 ) THEN 0 ELSE 1 END AS "women" FROM "SkuGroups" INNER JOIN "table" ON "SkuGroups"."skugroup" = SUBSTR( "table"."sku", 1, 6 ) WHERE "table"."quantity" > 0

"SkuGender"
SELECT "SWQ"."skugroup", "men", "women", CASE WHEN "SWQ"."men" >= 1 AND "SWQ"."women" >= 1 THEN 'both' WHEN "SWQ"."men" >= 2 THEN 'men' WHEN "SWQ"."women" >= 2 THEN 'women' ELSE 'alien' END AS "gender" FROM ( SELECT "skugroup", SUM( "men" ) "men", SUM( "women" ) "women" FROM "SkuWithQuantity" GROUP BY "skugroup" ) "SWQ"

"result"
SELECT "SkuWithQuantity"."sku", "SkuGender"."gender" FROM "SkuGender" INNER JOIN "SkuWithQuantity" ON "SkuGender"."skugroup" = "SkuWithQuantity"."skugroup" WHERE "SkuGender"."gender" <> 'alien' ORDER BY "SkuWithQuantity"."sku"