Navigation icons missing from Base Table View

Creating tables and queries
GowerMick

Navigation icons missing from Base Table View

Post by GowerMick »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but a search found nothing. Even after updating to LO5.2.5.1, this problem (bug) is still there:

When initially opening and viewing a base table, the record navigation icons are missing from status line.
They only appear when I change size of table. Any thoughts
Mick
LibreOffice 7.2.6.2 (x64)
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Navigation icons missing from Base Table View

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I'm not sure I understand your question but ...
When initially opening and viewing a base table
If you are editing data directly in the table then the solution is to create a data entry form where you have some options with regard to the navigation controls. Plus you have many more display options on a form than working directly in a table.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Sorry, I disagree, the solution is to get the table view to show properly.
The table is designed to be used that way, hence the navigations buttons, so why are they not visible initially?
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

It is a common beginners error to try to use the table view for data entry into a Base table.
It is a simple fact that forms allow far more formatting options for data display than the table view.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

It is not the formatting that I'm concerned about. When I need a form I create one, and write the software it may need, but I don't so I didn't!
i just want to browse the data, as table view is supposedly designed for! Missing the navigation buttons is a bug! No excuses, they should be there as they were intended!
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

This is a help forum, not a customer service site. We are all volunteers who offer advice on how you might solve a problem, or work around a bug.
Experienced Base users understand the limitations of the table view and generally opt for forms. Forms do have navigation control options that aren't available in the table view.
Base is certainly not bug free. You mentioned that you are using Libre Office, they have a bug reporting mechanism
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/feedback/
Look through their list of bug reports to see if yours has already been posted or is something new.
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Yes I do understand that forum members are volunteers and am grateful for your comments. However, my original post did say I had a workround, and was simply asking if anyone had noticed the problem and if they had suggestions for what was happening. If I sounded tetchy I apologise, but was getting frustrated by your insistence that forms were the only way to go. I'm sure even you must have opened a table at some point, and so to have the navigation icons missing is simply wrong!

NB I have since found out that there is a bug report on this, and the problem seems to have been around for about 6-12 months!
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Quick update.

Just updated to LO5.2.6.2. and bug is still there! :crazy:
Mick
Oracle Report Builder