[Solved] How to get the right date format in query

Creating tables and queries
AfTech54

[Solved] How to get the right date format in query

Post by AfTech54 »

Hi!

I'm about to store a large amount of information of photos in Base, among it the date of birth for persons that appear in the photos. Now I have a form and a date field where I enter the date of birth. I store it in the table "Persons" I where I have the format YYYY-MM-DD and all date also appear in that format. So so far everything looks good.
How ever if I execute a query including Person.DateOfBirth field I'll get the format YY-MM-DD. I can't figure out how to get the "right" format YYYY-MM-DD.

This is the query which sholud list a desription of all people mentioned in a specifc photo album.

SELECT DISTINCT "PE"."Name" AS "Namn", "PE"."DateOfBirth" AS "Födelsdatum", "PE"."ShortName" AS "Kortnamn", "PE"."Comment" AS "Kommentar"
FROM "Photos" AS "PH", "PhotoPerson" AS "PP", "Person" AS "PE", "Source" AS "S"
WHERE "PH"."ID_Photo" = "PP"."ID_Photo" AND "PP"."ID_Person" = "PE"."ID_Person"
AND "PH"."ID_Source" = "S"."ID_Source"
AND "S"."Source" = 'LEEL 1'

Any one that has a soltion for this litte issue?

Thougt I posted this question yesterday, but I couldn't find it so I posted it again. I hope a duplicate doesn't appear.

//Roger
Last edited by AfTech54 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ooo v4.1.9, Windows 10
robleyd

Re: How to get the right date format in query

Post by robleyd »

Presumably you are using the built-in hsqldb? See if there is a DATE_FORMAT function
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Try this:
Open the "PE" table for editing (right-click>Edit) and click on the "DateOfBirth" field.
Near the bottom of the design window you can adjust the number format.

As far as I know, this format is used by default when you show the field in a query window, in the data source window or when you import the field into some office document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
AfTech54

Post by AfTech54 »

ThankS!

As I wrote I've already chosen the YYY-MM-DD format. And the date in that table apeear as YYYY-MM-DD, but when I run a query I get YY-MM-DD.

//Roger
Attachments
Table setup.JPG
Query_date.JPG
Ooo v4.1.9, Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I'm not sure why your query isn't working. As Villeroy suggested, when I change the Date formatting in a table, a query on that table returns the Date in the format specified in the table.
Usually the query is used to supply the information for display on a form. A Date field on a form also has formatting options.
If it must appear in the query you should be able to force it with something like

Code: Select all

Year("DateOfBirth") || '-' || Month("DateOfBirth")|| '-' || Day("DateOfBirth") AS "BDay"
Of course BDay is no longer a date, it has been converted to a string.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

the function 'TO_CHAR' provides a convenient way to format the appearance of a date, time, date/time value.
to_char("PE"."DateOfBirth", 'YYYY-MM-DD')
Built-in functions and Stored Procedures
open office 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 x64 using HSQL 1.8.0.10 (Embedded) and HSQL 2.6.0 (Split) on Windows 10
AfTech54

Post by AfTech54 »

Ok and thanks!

I've formatted the date field in the form the same way as in the table?

The to_char functon should I use it in the "Select" part of the query and will it work in spite of the missing two (century) digits that could be 18.., 19.., or 20..?

//Roger
Ooo v4.1.9, Windows 10
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

yes just replace "PE"."DateOfBirth" in the select clause with to_char("PE"."DateOfBirth", 'YYYY-MM-DD')
the year will be shown as 4 digits & precicely reflect the value of year("DateOfBirth") as stored in your table.
the function does not alter your table values in any way it simply formats the query output.
open office 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 x64 using HSQL 1.8.0.10 (Embedded) and HSQL 2.6.0 (Split) on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

will it work in spite of the missing two (century) digits that could be 18.., 19.., or 20..?
Yes, dates and times are stored as a number and calculated from a 0 starting point. According to Andrew Pitonyak
Date variables contain date and time values. OOo Basic stores dates internally as a Double. Dates, like all
numerical types, are initialized to zero, which corresponds to December 30, 1899 at 00:00:00.
so anything after that date and time is stored as a positive number, and anything prior is negative.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
AfTech54

Post by AfTech54 »

Thanks both!!

It works perfectly and thanks for the link (Built in func...)!

//Roger
Ooo v4.1.9, Windows 10