Spreadsheet to database

Creating tables and queries
roy wood

Spreadsheet to database

Post by roy wood »

having transferred my spread sheet to a database i find the formulas have been replaced with numbers.
is it possible to include them in a data base.
many thanks
roy wood
libre office 3.1 windows 10
FJCC

Re: spreadsheet to data base

Post by FJCC »

Databases do not do calculations based on formulas in cells. Queries can do calculations on entire columns or on subsets of columns. What are you trying to do?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I suspect this question follows from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87173&p=408493#p408493 Perhaps the two topics might be merged?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Databases store raw data and this is what they do much better than sheets. They do simple calculations on rows and columns way easier and better than spreadsheets do. Unfortunately, this capability is somewhat limited when using dBase tables with OpenOffice.
Having data in a flat dBase table, remove all fields that were calculated in the spreadsheet (click table icon, menu:Edit>Edit...).
With the raw data in a dBase table, you have still a lot of options.
You can create queries to show only selected columns and rows in any order of columns and rows.
You can create input forms with specialized input controls for dates, times, currencies etc.
You can create reports for pretty printing. There is a report builder extension availlable for professionally looking reports. This tool has a lot of the calculation capabilities you are missing.
You can link your tables and queries to spreadsheet ranges with formulas, charts, conditional formatting and anything you are missing right now.
Finally you can create pivot tables from database data which is the most easy way to get meaningful aggregations from data without having to fiddle with spreadsheet formulas copied across cell ranges.

Report Builder: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pro ... rt-builder
Base and Calc: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=18511
Pivot table (aka "data pilot"): https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... /DataPilot
A limited set of functions availlable with dBase in OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/dba/specifica ... tions.html (no aggregations).

I managed my private expenses for many years in a simple table which started in the 90ies as an Excel list and a pivot table for the monthly overview and then continued with dBase and OpenOffice.org 1 and 2. Very simple and there are hundreds of programs able to handle dBase tables one way or the other.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice