Field updates from a multiple table view?

Creating tables and queries
RAylsworth

Field updates from a multiple table view?

Post by RAylsworth »

Why can I not update table fields in a multiple table view?

From BASE Help:
"... A table view is a query that is stored with the database. For most database operations, a view can be used as you would use a table."

If I create a query of a single table which includes the primary key, field updates are possible;
however, I can not update fields from a multiple table view, with or without including the primary key(s).

Is this an impletation limitation of BASE?
Ray A.
Ray A.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Field updates from a multiple table view?

Post by Villeroy »

Databases are bureaucratic monsters. When you want to order a new article from a new supplier then you have to do this in 3 steps:
1. Add a new provider to table "Suppliers" since you won't be able to add the new article without any supplier.
2. Add a new article to table "Articles" since you won't be able to add a new order without the respective article.
3. Edit your table "Orders", pick the article and the supplier of that article.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RAylsworth

Re: Field updates from a multiple table view?

Post by RAylsworth »

Villeroy,
No, only weakly implemented Databases Managers are “bureaucratic monsters.”

I have recently upgraded to a Vista system and was hoping that the Open Office Suite, especially BASE would be a viable alternative for Office 2007. Unfortunately it appears that BASE is not yet ready for Prime Time.

My application needs two tables, one with membership information such as Name, Address, etc and a second table for current season registration, such as, Donor and Ticket Information.

My old ACCESS 2000 lets me manage these two tables from a single query/view: entering current data, updating addresses, etc., plus deleting old records and creating new records in both tables.

Looks like I am going to have to purchase Access 2007 to get my project done unless someone can show me how to do this with BASE.
Ray A. :cry:
Ray A.