Base and writer

Creating tables and queries
sylvain

Base and writer

Post by sylvain »

I know how to convert a Base query result in a Calc table. But I would like to convert it to a Writer file to be then formatted in Write. Is there any way of doing this? It seems to require converting a table into a Write file but so far I have not been able to find a way of doing this. Impossible?
SB
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Base and writer

Post by DrewJensen »

Start a new writer file.
Hit F4
The datasource browser opens on the top of the page.
In this left of this browser find your database and expand it to show tables and queries.
You can drag a table name to the text area and a wizard opens allowing you select which columns to import - and a "few" other options.
If you have questions just come back and ask, but that should get you going.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
sylvain

Post by sylvain »

Thank you. I followed your instructions but the data bases listed on the left in the Data window are not my data bases but what seem to be templates (e.g. bibliography) that came with the program, and I cannot find any way of changing that window so that it will show my data tables. Should I move those tables to a different directory, and if so, which one?
Thanks again. I did not know about F4 at all. What a nice surprise.

Sylvain
sylvain

Post by sylvain »

Oops, I figured out how to solve that problem by discovering how to register my data base, and it now appears in the left window that springs up when I hit F4. But when I drag the table name into the Writer file, it expands into a table. The only way to convert the table to text converts it into e.g. comma separated. Is it possible to convert so that the rows become paragraphs? I am trying to make myself a phone book that is not in table form.
Thanks for the help so far.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Drag individual field names where you want them, to get the layout you want.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

After F4 select all records with the upper left gray box then click the Data to Text icon and design the phone book layout.