Auto-Increment jumped by >2000

Creating tables and queries
the ber

Auto-Increment jumped by >2000

Post by the ber »

I am using LibreOffice 7 in Linux, and have a problem with a table in Base. The database is split, using HSQLDB. The table has a column called ID, which is also the primary key, and is auto-incrementing. I enter data using a form in Base; the ID is not visible in the form because I don't need to see it when entering data.

A little while ago the ID number changed from one entry to the next by 2237 instead of by 1. The subsequent entries all incremented by 1, but they continued from the number which was too high. I only noticed this yesterday, because I use the ID number when occasionally plotting some of the data

Rather than try to solve this in the internet, I just corrected the ID numbers of the 20 or so entries, figuring that the table would get back on the right track.

The last entry from yesterday was now numbered correctly as 858. Today after adding an entry I looked into the table, and the ID number for today's entry is 3095.

Any ideas about where I can look or what I can do to fix this?
LO 7+ on Windows 7, 10 and various Linux Distros; MariaDB on Linux
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Auto-Increment jumped by >2000

Post by Villeroy »

This is perfectly OK. It is just a unique sequence of numbers with no meaning other than being a unique row ID. I would guess that you deleted 2237 records.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Villeroy is right. It shouldn't bother you.

If it really has to be changed try this link:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/491 ... 797#491797

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
the ber

Post by the ber »

Thanks for the replies.
I understand that the ID number has no real function outside of being a unique identifier. I can also change the ID column later in my Calc tables for plotting. But I think that it's still a strange behavior for the program, since I haven't deleted any records at all from the database.
LO 7+ on Windows 7, 10 and various Linux Distros; MariaDB on Linux
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The database is split, using HSQLDB.
HSQL2 has a ROWNUM() function which simply enumerates the rows from 1 to row count.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice