New OO Base User QUERY design

Creating tables and queries
ve4per_andy

New OO Base User QUERY design

Post by ve4per_andy »

I am an experienced MSAccess database user as well as familiar with LibreOffice Base operations. I was disappointed with the relative immaturity of the visual design UI's in LibreOffice base when compared with the MSAccess visual UI's for designing and running queries; hence my choice to test drive OpenOffice base. I do not see any options to view queries, or any objects, in any kind of graphical design view or eve SQL statement view from the start.
Are there some extra .deb files I have to install as extensions etc. in addition to the original .deb install process to have this UI type presentation readily available to me on my w/s desktop?

I don't see any toolbar functions that allow datasheet view or design view switching??

Thanks in advance
Andy
Apache Open Office 4.1.10 (from tarball install) on a linux ubuntustudio 20.04 LTS 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: New OO Base User QUERY design

Post by Villeroy »

The entire Base component weighs no more than 30 or 40 MB including drivers for HSQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. It is just a small addition to this office suite.
You can open all types of objects for editing ("design view"). When editing a query, F5 shows the resulting row set. I write all my queries in plain SQL, using a code editor. You may also use a tool like SQuirreLSQL.
When editing forms, the form navigator is the most useful tool. You can build arbitrary complex hierarchies of forms and subforms with it.

Base tutorials
Database examples

P.S.: Invoice example with very good background info: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=56006
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ve4per_andy

Post by ve4per_andy »

Thanks for the tip I will give your suggestion a try when I can access base. It keeps wanting to restore non-existent lists of corrupted files for some reason. It says it is repairing the following files and there are no files in any list to restore. so doesn't let me get past that. STRANGE
Apache Open Office 4.1.10 (from tarball install) on a linux ubuntustudio 20.04 LTS 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

FIrst of all, you are not running OpenOffice 3.1 on Win10 Pro, are you? You mentioned .deb files in your first posting. So I guess you are running LibreOffice 6 or 7 on some flavour of Linux.
Open/LibreOffice is one program to edit office documents. There is no separate program Base, Calc, Writer etc. It is all running in one process loading a Base component, Writer component, Calc component etc. for whatever file you throw at it.

If it tries to restore absent files of either component although there is nothing left to restore, then just cancel the dialog.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
ve4per_andy

Post by ve4per_andy »

No you are correct I am running Apache Open Office 4.1.10 (from tarball install) on a linux ubuntustudio 20.04 LTS 64 bit box at the moment.

I have two windows machines as well that currently have LibreOffice installed on them. But my testing and checking and evaluating OPENOFFICE is being done on this linux box at the moment before I remove libreoffice on the windows boxes to replace it with OpenOffice if my evaluation is satisfactory.

I tried cancelling the dialog and it offers me option to select which program to launch and as soon as I launch one either Calc or Base it immediately returns to wanting to restore non-existent files. Launching writer or impress works OK.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Regarding the recovery problem, resetting the user profile should help.

Code: Select all

killall soffice.bin
mv ~/.openoffice/4/user ~/.openoffice/4/user.bkp
or maybe one particular file in it. I'm not sure, but try this first:

Code: Select all

killall soffice.bin
mv ~/.openoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu ~/.openoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu.bkp
SInce many years OpenOffice is no more than a zombie project, a well known brand with this forum being the most active part of it. For my part, I can't use most of my Base forms with OO for Linux because it freezes when a table control gets the focus. Apart from that, LibreOffice has some amazing new features after a decade of active development (and some questionable ones too).

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
ve4per_andy

Post by ve4per_andy »

Thanks Villeroy That killall soffice.bin code was the exact code needed to get my access back for Calc and Base now. I tried the second line first as you suggested and it worked like a charm.

helper code mv ~/.openoffice/4/user ~/.openoffice/4/user.bkp
success helper code mv ~/.openoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu ~/.openoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu.bkp

I like the graphical interface for designing queries in MSAccess ( libre office base is partly there). They are really efficient. I can open a select query and specify search criteria (eg all null entries for a certain field(s) and with a single mouseclick it changes to an UPDATE query and allows me to enter data to update those null fields immediately. I can click on a second button and immediately see all SQL code behind the designed queries.

Libre Office Is getting there but has taken years to get to the stage it is at now. I had hoped OpenOffice project had done the same and surpassed LibreOffice in this respect as it is the only program that is holding me up from eliminating M$ products and platforms entirely here. I have been an OpenOffice/LibreOffice user since the days before Oracle too things over and resulted in the split and subsequent takeover by current Apache group. In my 70's now and not a lot of time left to wait lol