[Solved] Read-Error On Document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Molly3

[Solved] Read-Error On Document

Post by Molly3 »

I was working on an essay for school. My essay was almost complete when I saved it and took a break. When I came back a message had appeared whenever I tried to open it that read "Read Error.
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,3821(row,col)." I had sent it to my teacher who has windows, he then helped me with it and then sent it back with comments and recorded changes. I then added more comments and recorded changes. After saving my document, turning off my computer (Windows 10), and returning to work on it I received the message above. I have tried reading other posts from people that have had a similar problem, but I cannot seem to get it fixed.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Read-Error On Document

Post by RoryOF »

You should upload your file to the Forum and someone will examine it and fix it. The upload tab is below the Submit button on the Post Reply or Full Editor screens, not on the Quick Reply screen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Molly3

Post by Molly3 »

This is my essay. If someone figures out how to fix it could you please tell me so I can maybe fix it next time? Thank you for your help.
Attachments
Schwartz-L1003 - Five Paragraph Rough Draft - Copy.odt
(36.48 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached.

There can be multiple comment anchors at line 2, col 3821 (or thereabouts) which can be identified by multiple 1111 entries. These need to be deleted with care. This seems to occur when an .odt file is edited with MS Word and Track Changes is enabled.

Turning off track changes should cure the problem (no guarantee!)
Attachments
Schwartz-L1003 - Five Paragraph Rough Draft - Repaired.odt
(36.09 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Molly3

Post by Molly3 »

It worked. Thank you so much for your help. I will use Libre Office to track the rest of my changes.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Don't track changes if the file is to be reviewed by someone using MS Word; no matter whether you use OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
Molly3

Post by Molly3 »

Okay, Thank you.