Corrupted .odt file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Jennifer311

Corrupted .odt file

Post by Jennifer311 »

Hello,

My computer shut down in the middle of me adding to a very long list of research and now the file is corrupted. This is 2 weeks of very important work gone. Can anyone help? I've attached the file. Thanks so much in advance! I am not very good with computers. I will absolutely create a back up next time!!

Thank you.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista mykfcexperience
RoryOF

Re: Corrupted .odt file

Post by RoryOF »

Edit: No file was attached to your posting. 
Your file will most probably be damaged beyond repair and will contain no usable information. This damage will be because of the power failure to the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

Experience shows that you should not waste any time with your existing file - it will have no usable content. Concentrate on the recovery methods outlined in the tutorial.

You could download PhotoRec and allow it undelete any temporary files. You may or may not recover some, all or nothing of your file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS