[Solved] Unable to get OpenOffice to recognize AdoptOpenJDK

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
atcroft

[Solved] Unable to get OpenOffice to recognize AdoptOpenJDK

Post by atcroft »

Issue:
Unable to get OpenOffice 4.1.7 to recognize AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Eclipse OpenJ9 8.0.222.10 as a JRE.

Platform:
OpenOffice 4.1.7 (4.17.9800) on Windows 10 Home (v 1709, build 16299.547)
Details:
AOO417m1(Build:9800) - Rev. 46059c9192
2019-09-03 12:04
Available JDKs:
AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Eclipse OpenJ9 8.0.222.10 (x64)
AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Eclipse OpenJ9 8.0.222.10 (x86)

Question:
  • What does OpenOffice 4.1.7 look for to determine if a JRE is present in a directory?
  • Is AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Eclipse OpenJ9 supported? Or is a version using OpenJDK HotSpot needed instead?
Steps attempted:
  • Uninstalled OpenOffice 4.1.7 from system
  • Uninstalled AdoptOpenJDK (x86)
  • Uninstalled AdoptOpenJDK (x64)
  • Rebooted system
  • Installed AdoptOpenJDK (x86)
  • Installed AdoptOpenJDK (x64)
  • Rebooted system
  • Installed OpenOffice 4.1.7 on system
  • Rebooted system
  • Opened OpenOffice 4.1.7
  • Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Java
  • Waited for 5+ minutes per viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97818&p=469224&hili ... DK#p469239, no change to list of available JREs
  • Tried "Add" button, selecting various directories under the install locations (c:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK and c:\Program Files (x86)\AdoptOpenJDK), each time receiving the message, "The folder you selected does not contain a Java runtime environment. Please select a different folder."
Performed a search for "AdoptOpenJDK" and found the following threads: From the 4.1.7 announcement, https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/anno ... ffice-4-13:
Announcing Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7

21 September 2019 - Apache OpenOffice, the leading Open Source office document productivity suite, announced today Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7, as usual available in 41 languages for Windows, macOS and Linux.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 is a maintenance release aimed at correcting some regressions and delivering the latest English dictionary. All users of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 or earlier are advised to upgrade.

Main improvements include:

* Adds support for AdoptOpenJDK as well as Oracle Java
:crazy:
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OOo 4.x / multiple platforms
LibreOffice 6.x / multiple platforms
atcroft

Re: Unable to get OpenOffice 4.1.7 to recognize AdoptOpenJDK

Post by atcroft »

Documenting for completeness, in case it may be of assistance.

In my post, I asked,
Is AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Eclipse OpenJ9 supported? Or is a version using OpenJDK HotSpot needed instead?
After posting, I tested this proposition by uninstalling both x64 and x86 versions of AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Eclipse OpenJ9 8.0.222.10, rebooting, downloading and installing AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Hotspot 8.0.232.09 (x64 and x86 versions), followed by a reboot (just in case). When I opened OpenOffice (and gave it some time to search), it found AdoptOpenJDK 1.8.0_232's JRE, which was installed under "c:\Program Files (x86)\AdoptOpenJDK\jdk-8.0.232.09-hotspot\jre".

:super:

Therefore, my initial conclusion (and I may very well be wrong) is that OOo 4.1.7 recognizes AdoptOpenJDK JDK with Hotspot, but not AdoptOpenJDK with Eclipse OpenJ9.
Can anyone else confirm this to be the case?

:geek:
OOo 4.x / multiple platforms
LibreOffice 6.x / multiple platforms
RoryOF

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to get OpenOffice to recognize AdoptOpen

Post by RoryOF »

I confirm that 4.1.7 works with AdoptOpenJDK-11 with Hotspot. I have not tried the Eclipse variant.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
marto871

Re: [Solved] Unable to get OpenOffice to recognize AdoptOpen

Post by marto871 »

Did you do anything specific to get the AdoptOpenJDK jre-11 hotspot to work? I have tried browsing the path to no avail and it never finds it either by auto looking it up. Oracle JRE works fine.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Server 2016
cdburke

Post by cdburke »

I'm also unable to get OpenOffice to recognize that the AdoptOpenJDK 11 JRE is a valid JRE. Even when I attempt to add the JRE directory (C:\Program Files\AdoptOpenJDK\jre-11.0.4.11-hotspot) or its parent, OpenOffice refuses to accept that it is indeed a JRE. Do I need to rename the JRE directory and install it under the JDK, or is there some other incantation that needs to be performed? (The JRE ships separately from the JDK, so the JDK doesn't have a JRE directory of its own.)
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Home
cdburke

Post by cdburke »

Answering my own post before it even passes moderation: It has to be the x86 (32-bit) JRE. A 64-bit JRE will not work. Once I installed the 32-bit version I could proceed and the JRE was recognized.
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Home
NickDaGeekUK

Post by NickDaGeekUK »

Worringly AdoptOpenJDK is moving its repository to the Eclipse Foundation and having visited it today there is no 32 bit download anymore. I have raised a question on their GitHub board about this. I have downloaded the last available version of 32bit from AdoptOpenJDK and it is not the current release. There does not appear to be a current 32bit release. Has someone shut down the 32 bit branch prior to the anouncement of the move to Eclipse?
Windows 10 x64 version 20H2 Open Office 4.1.10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Install the 64-bit version of LibreOffice for Windows. https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice