[Solved] Grammar/Spell Check

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
skyward7

[Solved] Grammar/Spell Check

Post by skyward7 »

Hello, I am new to this group and I thank you very much for allowing me to join. I was wondering if someone could give me a lead. My wife is writing a book using OpenOffice and she is in need of a Program to assist wth Grammar and Spell check to avoid a lot of editing. Thank you so much. I did install Grammarly on her computer (Windows 10) but it does not work on OpenOffice.
Have a great day,
Tom
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.15 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Grammar/Spell Check

Post by RoryOF »

Try LanguageTool
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The use of the Language Tool depends a lot on what language your wife is writing in. Support for Dutch, for instance, is very limited because only a few people work on it. English will be much better, I suppose. But a grammar checker may totally miss really bad errors made by people who don't know the language well, so you still have to proof-read.
The spell checker in OpenOffice/LibreOffice is pretty good, and with spell check as you type enabled, it will curly underline many apparent or real errors, but not all. It won't alert you if you type "ant" instead of "any" by accidentally hitting the wrong key. So, you still have to proof-read.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
skyward7

Post by skyward7 »

Thank you so much. Yes, my wife will be writing in English. We were born and raised in Ma, but are now calling SC home. Have a wonderful evening.
OpenOffice 4.15 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Here is a list of language tools of the LibreOffice:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Lan ... ibreOffice

The installer of the LibreOffice contains all of available language tools. You can choose which ones you want to install during a a custom installation.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.