[Solved] Date Format

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
blondogcat

[Solved] Date Format

Post by blondogcat »

For about 10 years now, I have been using Open Office and like it very much. I just purchased a new computer and transferred a spreadsheet that I have been using to track expenses. For the whole 10 years, I have used the format 17/09/19 (meaning 17 Sep 2019) and wish to continue with that. When I opened up the file on my new computer, many of the entries remained in that format but others (and all new entries) converted to 2019-17-09 and I can't figure out how to put it back to the format I prefer. This is not the first time I have moved this file from one computer to another so I'm not sure why this change happened this time. Can someone explain how I can revert to the previous format, please? Thank you.
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Date Format

Post by RusselB »

This might be due to a difference between an applied format and the default date format as set by your locale.
Check the formatting for the cells that are in the format you want compared to the format for the cells in the other format.
No matter what you find, if you format the column using the format that you want, then ensure that you have saved the file as in .ods format.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
blondogcat

Post by blondogcat »

Thanks for the answer RusselB but I don't know how to do that. I guess I should have been more clear that that is what I was hoping to find out.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Select one of the cells that has the date in the format you want, then press Ctrl+1
If needed, select the Numbers dialog and make a note of the entry in the Format Code box.
Then select one of the cells that has the other format and repeat the above steps.
To set the format for the entire column, select the column letter then press Ctrl+1, then select the format or enter the format code you want in the Format code box.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
blondogcat

Post by blondogcat »

That's got it, RusselB! Thanks for the explanation.