[Solved] Constant File Recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
i75Dave

[Solved] Constant File Recovery

Post by i75Dave »

Each time I load OO, I get the File Recovery screen with a message ... "Untitled 1 - not recovered yet" When I attempt to recover, I receive a "Recovery Failed" message.
Lurking somewhere in my computer files there must be a log with an Unfiled 1 reference, or even an broken "Unfiled 1" file.
I've searched all my drives and cannot find it.
Can anyone suggest how I might get rid of this annoying message - I've been getting it for the last month or so.
Thanks,
Dave
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Win 7 64bit
RoryOF

Re: Constant File Recovery

Post by RoryOF »

When prompted to permit recovery, choose Cancel. If you are getting such messages constantly from different files we need to examine your method of using OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Switch on View hidden files

- Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View ...
- Select Show Hidden files, folders and drives

2. Stop AOO

3. Search for .~lock*.odt# by Start > type in .~lock*.odt# and press enter

4. Delete all you find.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

Unfortunately, no files appeared so I could not delete anything. I definitely have show hidden files checked, so they should appear.

Can you provide me with a location path for .~lock*.odt# so I can find it manually?

Thanks,

Dave.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Any such lock files will be in the directories in which their owning files live.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I don't know exactly how AOO does recovery but doing these is safe.

If you open Fred.odt then AOO creates .~lockFred.odt# in the same folder.

Do a reboot and do not start, or stop, AOO before doing these.

AOO also creates C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\.lock when running. Try deleting it.

Finally try renaming "C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\registrymodifications.xcu to something else so AOO cannot find it. It contains information on recent saved files and also your personalisation of AOO. AOO will create a new one when you restart AOO. Put the old one back if it did not fix it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think the problem resolved itself though.

Last time I loaded OO, the usual "repair file" screen appeared. Instead of going through the usual repair routine which always results in failure message, I just clicked on the "X" in the top corner to make the annoying screen go away. It did!

Next time I loaded OO, for the the first time in weeks the "repair file" screen did not appear, and hasn't since.

I'm therefore going to mark this as solved.

Dave.
RoryOF

Re: SOLVED - Constant File Recovery

Post by RoryOF »

"X" is a quick way, but does not always make the desired selection. If there is a "Cancel" button, that is a more explicit instruction.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

i75Dave wrote:I think the problem resolved itself though.
It would not surprise me to find that rebooting fixed it.