Do I need to delete the old version before I update?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Ben9

Do I need to delete the old version before I update?

Post by Ben9 »

I do not find the update-button on the OpenOffice website. Only the Download button. Do I delete my old version (and how do I do that) before I click the Download button? Or how do I update? (Windows)
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Install, Setup and Troubleshooting forum to MS Windows
OpenOffice4 on Windows
robleyd

Re: Do I need to delete the old version before I update?

Post by robleyd »

OpenOffice doesn't have upgrades as such - you simply install newer versions. If you are currently running some flavour of version 4, there is no need to uninstall.

Close OpenOffice; go to the download site and download the latest version; read the Installation Guide and follow the instructions therein.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Do I need to delete the old version before I update?

Post by Villeroy »

Close OpenOffice. If the so called "quick starter" shows an OpenOffice icon near the system clock, it is not closed. In this case, a right-click on that icon allows you to close the application completely.

While you are in it: Since many years there is an actively developed successor to OpenOffice called LiberOffice downloadable at https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
LibreOffice can be installed parallel to OpenOffice. It is a similar program but not the same.
OpenOffice is effectively dead.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice