Can't add new language dictionary

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
demon001

Can't add new language dictionary

Post by demon001 »

Greetings,
I am running Win.10 Pro. on an HP Compaq 6710 b
I have tried several times to add: "lo-oo-ressources-linguistiques-fr-v5.3 (1).oxt" (A French Dictionary) to my OpenOffice v.4.1.0.
I get a runtime error each time. stating it can't find a file or directory. I have the following directory & files that it claims cannot be found:
C:\Users\[owner]\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv5wv1ib.tmp_\lo-oo-ressources-linguistiques-fr-v5.3 (1).oxt\DictionarySwitcher.py'

I have downloaded the .oxt file several times & get the same error msg each time I try to install it. The Ext Mgr tells me the ext is installed but it does not show up as an option in my dictionary list.
Please advise,
Thanks
JLDM

(Nota: I have a screen shot of the error msg but do not know how add it to my post.)
JLDM
OpenOffice 4.1.0
Windows 7 Professional
RusselB

Re: Can't add new language dictionary

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While I can't answer your main question, in order to upload the screen shot, click the PostReply button, then look under the area where you would type a response.
There you will find two tabs. The first one (highlighted by default) is Options. The second is Upload Attachment.
It is the second tab that you need, and, imo, the dialog that shows after selecting that tab is self-explanatory... but if you still have problems, we can help you further with that.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Worked for me with the extension downloaded from the LibreOffice site. So, maybe the file that you downloaded isn't complete. You can test that: select the original file in Windows (File) Explorer, NOT the browser, and change the extension (oxt) to zip - it's really a zip file. Then you can open it as a zipped folder and browse through it. The file DictionarySwitcher.py that appears to be missing, should sit in the top level folder, second from the bottom in the list that appears when you open the file. If it isn't there, you got a bad file. In that case, download from a genuine site. If it is there, something is wrong with your AOO installation.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tried unsuccessfully with OpenOffice. I think there may be a problem between this dictionary and Python - perhaps dictionary is using a later version of Python than OO is using. That floris v is able to load it on LibreOffice suggests this, as LibreOffice uses the later Python.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Actually I downloaded from the LO site but installed it on AOO for Linux, where it was pre-installed, so I had to remove that first. No problems whatsoever.
 Edit: Can't find it on the OO extensions page. 
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I had it already installed on OO, but attempted to install _over_ the existing version, which new installation failed
 Edit: The (1) in the given filename suggests that there is already a copy of this file on the OP's computer; if so, Extension Manager should show if that copy is already installed. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The lo-oo prefix made me suspicious. And the py script is from 2015. That shouldn't be the problem.
Nederlandstalig forum