Document Protection Not Working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
albersk

Document Protection Not Working

Post by albersk »

I am a Windows 10 user with Open Office 4.1.6 installed. I have been password protecting documents in Open Office for several years. Last month while making a new spread sheet using OO 4.1.4 my program crashed several times. Since then I have been unable to password protect my documents. They say they are protected, but open without any necessary password request. Does anyone have an idea what I can do to protect my documents?
OpenOffice 4.1.6, on Windows 10
Tina5757

Re: Document Protection Not Working

Post by Tina5757 »

I had similar problem.
Solution was to totally disregard the password setting process under Tools menu, and instead use Save As on the file and make sure the second box in the lower part of the window has a checkmark in the Save with Password box.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Document Protection Not Working

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Under Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Security there is:
1) Security options and warnings, which has a Recommend password protection on saving. This does not force the password protection, but gives a dialog suggesting it if File -> Save (Ctrl+S) or File -> Save As without the Password protection checkbox checked.
2) Passwords for web connections.

I suspect that the first item is the one you were using, and, as noted, it is just a recommendation. It does not force the password.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.