[Solved] Been Fighting with Spellcheck for Days

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] Been Fighting with Spellcheck for Days

Postby spellcheck_just_why » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:55 am

Yes I've visited the troubleshooting page. Yes hunsopell is checked, Yes default language is set to English, Yes I have a blue check in Font/Character. Yes I have renamed user folder to user_old. Then tried deleting both. Then I deleted both and reinstalled a fresh version of office. The extension Manager shows the English and hyphenation Dictionary for various versions of English.The red abc wit a line under it is always checked in the toolbar and cannot be unchecked. I have no red lines. Try to launch the spell check and I get a window "Spelling: none" is at the top of the window. Text language is blank, but there is no way to change it. There is no way to do anything in this window. The only options are a popup that asks if I want to continue checking from the top of document. Yes or No or clicking on the red X all do the same thing. The window closed. This program is maddening I am not some novice with apps but I have projects that I need to get done and I can't keep copying and pasting this into e-mail to check the spelling. I've run across errors like this before in other programs and it often turns out to be a registry setting that needs to be toggled. If I had time I would hunt it down, but I am just pressed for time and this app is killing me. I saw several forums that say solved for the opposite problem (everything underlined), but no solution for this. Please please help.
Last edited by thomasjk on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 7 Pro
spellcheck_just_why

Re: Been Fighting with Speelcheck for Days

Postby RusselB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 am

Do you see this with a new document (started as blank), or is it only with one or more documents that you have on your computer?
If it's only with documents that are on your computer (ie: no problems with a new document) then it would be helpful if you could upload a copy of the (or one of the) document(s).
See How to attach a document for help in uploading/attaching a copy of the document.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: Been Fighting with Spellcheck for Days

Postby robleyd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:49 am

What language is selected when you go to Tools | Options | Language Settings | Languages and look in Default language...

What language do you see in the Status Bar at the bottom of your window?
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Re: Been Fighting with Spellcheck for Days

Postby spellcheck_just_why » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 am

Well I finally got it. I uninstalled, deleted my user profile folder. Then I did a complete reboot this time and did one more fresh install. Must have been some settings that needed to clear with the reboot. Not sure. It was not instant either. I had my document back open for several minutes thinking that I needed to keep searching for a solution. Not sure when, but after working in another window for a few minutes, I went back to my document and all of the errors were highlighted correctly.
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 7 Pro
spellcheck_just_why

Re: [Solved] Been Fighting with Spellcheck for Days

Postby RoryOF » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:02 am

Almost always the simple deletion or renaming of the User profile and a restart of OpenOffice cures the spellcheck problem. The test for successful delete or rename of the profile is that OO prompts for User name/Initials on next startup. It is not normally necessary to reinstall OO subsequent to this delete/rename.

Opening an OO file of any size takes some time for repagination and layout; spellchecking may not occur until these background processes are complete, which could explain the delay you perceived.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting