I Want Spellchecking In ONE Language

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

I Want Spellchecking In ONE Language

Postby dneuhauser » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Hello,

I am writing documents which include both English and Spanish. I have my language settings all set to English (USA), but when I run spell check the language it checks against keeps changing on its own from English to Spanish. How do I get it to keep the spellcheck language in one language?

Thank you in advance.
Diane, Open Office 4.1.6, Windows 8
dneuhauser

Re: I Want Spellchecking In ONE Language

Postby RoryOF » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:12 pm

Is your Spanish formatted differently to your English (US) text? You possibly should use paragraph and character styles where the underlying language is set to Spanish for the Spanish text; that is what I do (mutatis mutandis) for French or Latin text. Then the languages are checked against the correct dictionary.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Villeroy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 pm

If you want to exclude one language from spell checking, set the language of the respective sections to [None].
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 pm

AFAIK, there are only three ways that the language setting can change ("on its own" is not one of them).
1. Manual change by the user.
2. Pasting text that has a language setting. In this case, use Paste Special > Unformatted text instead of Paste.
3. Changing the keyboard input language. In thes case, never change the input language to Spanish.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Indeed, while the immediate spell checking is off, it is easily possible to write some English text into Spanish paragraphs and then paste it across other documents where this formatting attribute is not expected to be. Copy and paste transfers all formating attributes. In most cases this is NOT wanted. When using Writer, in most cases I paste plain text ("naked" characters only) into the formatting context of the current document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby dneuhauser » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:23 pm

The consensus is that the "underlying language" is causing the issue. How do I change that?

Thank you for your help everyone.
Diane, Open Office 4.1.6, Windows 8
dneuhauser

Postby RusselB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:58 pm

On a copy of your document, just in case this doesn't work:
1) highlight the entire document (Ctrl+A)
2) press Ctrl+c (to copy the contents to the Windows clipboard)
3) put your cursor at the beginning of the document (Ctrl+home)
4) press Ctrl+Shift+V (Paste special) and select Unformatted text

That should give you your document, but with no formatting, which we suspect is the cause of the language problem. Please note that you will also lose any other formatting, like underlining, bold, italics, centreing, justification, etc.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby Villeroy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:25 am

RusselB wrote:That should give you your document, but with no formatting, ...

There is no such thing as "no formatting". Every text has some font, some size, some color and some language too. When you paste unformatted text to some cursor position, the text gets the formatting at that cursor position which should be the formatting you have set intentionally.

If I had to format many bilingual documents, I would create a template with one preset language language ([None] is just a another kind of language) plus the required paragraph styles for the other language as children of their built-in parents, create new documents from this template, paste unformatted text and apply the right paragraph styles to headers, text bodies etc. If you know to use multiple selections and the stylist, this is a matter of minutes. Such template would make it very easy to create and maintain all these bilingual documents. As an additional feature I would to add some background color to the additional language styles so you get a visual hint about the language. Before printing you can remove the color from the styles which is a matter of seconds.

Paste all text as unformatted characters into one language context, scroll and click through the new document and apply the right paragraph styles. Paragraph styles give you a consistent layout and some "meaning". The gory details can be changed very easily even for hundreds of pages.
If your documents contains paragraphs of styles "Text Body", "Caption", "Header1" and "Header2" but only the text body style occurs in the second language, then add a new child style to the text body style (right-click>Add..) to your template where you apply Spanish language and a mild background shading. Name it like "Text Body ESP". Later you can remove the shading from the style which will remove it from every Spanish text body paraghraph. You can also change any other attributes in the parent style "Text Body". For instance modified font, size and spacing will apply to the Spanish child too.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby floris v » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:54 pm

I haven't used the spell check window since spell check as you type didn't slow you down to a slug's speed. It was soul destroying. But anyway, the spell check window displays a language box which shows the language that was assigned to the word currently under inspection. If it shows Spanish, then you somehow applied Spanish as the language for that text. Either explicitly, or by pasting text with language formatting. Writer doesn't have a language recognition utility like that in MS Word.
Important: You can't change the language applied to text in the spell check window. You need to abort thecspell checkingvand apply Engkish as language to any text with another language applied to it.
AOO 4.1.6 op Linux Mint
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting