No "save" in Writer.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
openofficeuser75

No "save" in Writer.

Post by openofficeuser75 »

Three months ago, saving new documents in Writer suddenly stopped working. "Save" still works when editing old, previously saved documents and it works in all the other Open Office programs, such as "Calc", but not "Writer". Since I was unable to fix it, I uninstalled and deleted Open Office from my computer, then downloaded and installed the new 4.1.6 version of Open Office. Then, I started a new document in "Writer"and tried to save it, but it will not save, as before. My OS is Windows 10 on a Lenovo Laptop, series G710. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know.
OpenOffice version 4.1.6
64 bit OS, x64-based processor, Lenovo-PC
RoryOF

Re: No "save" in Writer.

Post by RoryOF »

Is there an error message? Check Windows Defender settings to permit OO create new files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Re: No "save" in Writer.

Post by Bill »

openofficeuser75 wrote:...saving new documents in Writer suddenly stopped working. "Save" still works when editing old, previously saved documents and it works in all the other Open Office programs...
The "Save As" dialog should open when saving new documents to let the user set the name and location of the new document. Old documents are saved automatically without opening the "Save As" dialog. If the "Save As" dialog is not opening when saving new documents in Writer, then the "Save As" dialog may be appearing off the screen. The fix is to either use the standard procedure in Windows to move the dialog back to the screen (Alt+Space > Move) or reset your AOO user profile to move the dialog back to the default position. Removing and reinstalling AOO won't fix the dialog location.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04