[Solved] Checking for an update failed

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bkwallace826

[Solved] Checking for an update failed

Post by bkwallace826 »

I just installed AOO 4.1.6 and when I went to "Help" to "Check for Updates" I received the following "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: ." I am using Kaspersky Total Security 19.0.0.1088e. Anybody have a suggestion?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Bryan W
Open Office 4.1.6
Window 8.1
RusselB

Re: Checking for an update failed.

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
If you had done a search for that message, namely "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: .", you would've found 40 other messages with those words.
This is a topic/problem that has been posted/reported many times.... to my knowledge there is no resolution.
At the moment, 4.1.6 is the latest version to be released for OpenOffice. I have heard that a 4.2.0 version is in a testing stage, but as I'm not a tester I can't guarantee that.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
bkwallace826

Post by bkwallace826 »

This quite disappointing to find that this problem is an on-going problem that has been unresolved for literally years. Not being able to download updates or extensions is a serious problem not being taken seriously by Apache.
Bryan W
Open Office 4.1.6
Window 8.1
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

That check does not prevent you from being able to download updates or extensions.
That check simply indicated, when working, if there were updates to the program and extensions that you already had installed.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
NRaphael

Post by NRaphael »

I, too, have this problem, and I do not grok the response, 'That check simply indicated, when working, if there were updates to the program and extensions that you already had installed.' Can it do automagic updates or not?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit (SP1)
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

As I already said, when working, this simply lets you know when there's an update for the program or extension.
You still have to download the update and install it, manually.