Checking for an update failed.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Checking for an update failed.

Postby bkwallace826 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

I just installed AOO 4.1.6 and when I went to "Help" to "Check for Updates" I received the following "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: ." I am using Kaspersky Total Security 19.0.0.1088e. Anybody have a suggestion?
Bryan W
Open Office 4.1.6
Window 8.1
bkwallace826

Re: Checking for an update failed.

Postby RusselB » Wed May 22, 2019 1:08 am

Welcome to the Forums.
If you had done a search for that message, namely "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: .", you would've found 40 other messages with those words.
This is a topic/problem that has been posted/reported many times.... to my knowledge there is no resolution.
At the moment, 4.1.6 is the latest version to be released for OpenOffice. I have heard that a 4.2.0 version is in a testing stage, but as I'm not a tester I can't guarantee that.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby bkwallace826 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:36 am

This quite disappointing to find that this problem is an on-going problem that has been unresolved for literally years. Not being able to download updates or extensions is a serious problem not being taken seriously by Apache.
Bryan W
Open Office 4.1.6
Window 8.1
bkwallace826

Postby RusselB » Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 am

That check does not prevent you from being able to download updates or extensions.
That check simply indicated, when working, if there were updates to the program and extensions that you already had installed.
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby NRaphael » Thu May 23, 2019 3:56 am

I, too, have this problem, and I do not grok the response, 'That check simply indicated, when working, if there were updates to the program and extensions that you already had installed.' Can it do automagic updates or not?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit (SP1)
NRaphael

Postby RusselB » Thu May 23, 2019 5:35 am

As I already said, when working, this simply lets you know when there's an update for the program or extension.
You still have to download the update and install it, manually.
RusselB

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting