[Solved] Saving Files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Brian26

[Solved] Saving Files

Post by Brian26 »

I am a brand new user--please excuse what may be my ignorance regarding file saving. I am using the Spreadsheet app, saving various XL and numbers files in the *.ods format to my 'data disc'. Upon the files being located on that device I consolidated them into a file. When I now go to open a file, from the 'recent files' it cannot find the file. But if I locate the file using 'Finder'--no problem. Only one of the several files I consolidated included the folder name in the path--the other files did not. Why is this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 onMac OSMojave 10.14.4
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Saving Files

Post by Zizi64 »

I am using the Spreadsheet app, saving various XL and numbers files in the *.ods format to my 'data disc'.
Is your 'data disc' a removable media? - Maybe it will named with another letter in the next time...

(Never work directly onto a removable media.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Brian26 wrote:...I consolidated them into a file.
Did you move the saved files into a new folder after they were saved? If so, then the paths to the files in the recent documents list will no longer be valid. That list is maintained by OpenOffice and isn't updated when files are moved using the operating system's file manager.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Brian26

Post by Brian26 »

Here's the issue--I originally saved 8 separate spreadsheet files into 'datadisc', and then moved them into a 'consolidation' folder. All these files were given the path 'volumes/"saved file name'--except one which was given the correct path of 'volumes/apache/saved file name. Since all of my actions--to move each saved file into the consolidation folder 'apache' was the same, how was it that only one path was 'properly' saved? This issue prevents me from accessing my files through Open Recent Documents path. I can access them through 'Open' though.
And, thank you so much for responding. All of this is new to me, but the file handling you describe doesn't make sense to me. If a file is saved in one location and then relocated there must be a new path available to access that file--hence the availability of the 'Recent Document' access. Wouldn't you think? btw/ 'datadisc' is a folder on removable storage.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Once you access the files through OO's /File /Open, each file will once again appear on Recent Documents with its correct path. Recent Documents is a list kept by OpenOffice and tells where it saved or accessed the files. If these files are moved at system level, OO doesn't know where they are.

If the removable storage is a USB stick, there have been many reports on Forum of files lost on such sticks when OO files are worked directly to such sticks; this may often be due to improper adherence to the operating system's USB removal protocols, but in some cases perhaps also to some internal problems in the USB stick. We do not advise direct working to a USB stick. USB hard drives do not seem to have the same problems, provided the USB device removal protocols are observed, but note there is no guarantee that using such devices will always be safe.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Brian26

Post by Brian26 »

I am not using a stick, but a usb hard drive and did not improperly unload it etc. Is there another way to move a file other than click/drag?
For as I mentioned, one file did maintain a proper path and allowed me to access it through 'recent documents'.
But if you're telling me that moving a file, as I have will not permit a proper path for that document to be established, then I must not move any file after it's been created.
Is this correct?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Brian26 wrote:
But if you're telling me that moving a file, as I have will not permit a proper path for that document to be established, then I must not move any file after it's been created.
Is this correct?
Exactly so: if you have the file open in OpenOffice, and you wish to change its location, you can use /File /Save As to save it in the new location. However, there will now be two copies of that file - one in old location, one in new location and this can be confusing when trying to open from OO''s Recent Documents, as due to the pervesity of inanimate objects you will almost always edit the wrong file and the two copies quickly get out of sync with each other.

Moving it at system level using (say) click and drag or Select, Cut, opening the target directory and Paste, leaves only one copy of the file and the link in Recent Documents will not work. To re-establish the link in OO's Recent Documents one has to use /File /Open, navigate to the new directory, select and open the file.

See it this way: you give your son a list of things you want collected from your home - your passport, the book you are reading etc. Your list specifies that these are all on your desk. He goes there - nothing! Why - your wife has moved them (why do women tidy? rhetorical question!) - your passport is now in the house strong-box, the book is on your night-stand (that is the equivalent of the files being moved at system level). So your list is out of date and you have to go to your house, find each thing, and update your list (that is the equivalent of OO /File /Open)

I presume that the one file that is currently accessible through Recent Documents may actually have been saved directly to the new location - but there is no point in worrying what or why about it - once you get the idea that OO knows where it Saved its files, but doesn't know if they have subsequently been moved (it doesn't keep track of them), that is a major breakthrough.
Brian26

Post by Brian26 »

I see your point exactly. I wanted to be sure that the issue I was having was not an anomaly, and was actually by design. I will endeavor to re-establish the links I intended by resaving the files as I wish and see if the links are properly created.
I do appreciate your constant responses as well as your detailed level of understanding of this software. It's been great--thank you,
Brian
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can reestablish the links on Recent Documents by using /File /Open and navigating to each file and opening it. That should then place the correct link on Recent Documents.
Brian26

Post by Brian26 »

Once again I am in your debt :-)